Long Sighted - finding Nudibranchs

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SurteesDiver

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm just back from a trip to the Poor Knights in NZ and am a little frustrated with my sight. I am long sighted (due age) and have readers in my mask to see computer etc. This works really well but doesn't help me find Nudis! When a Nudi is found by others and pointed out to me I need to squint through my readers to see it.

Does any have any great ideas of what they do to find them, and to see them once found? Different mask? Magnifying glass? Any ideas welcome!

Thanks

I'm just back from a trip to the Poor Knights in NZ and am a little frustrated with my sight. I am long sighted (due age) and have readers in my mask to see computer etc. This works really well but doesn't help me find Nudis! When a Nudi is found by others and pointed out to me I need to squint through my readers to see it.

Does any have any great ideas of what they do to find them, and to see them once found? Different mask? Magnifying glass? Any ideas welcome!

Thanks
Get lenses with a larger "reader" section. They make what are essentially bifocals. Or you can get custom lenses made.

Thanks Lowwall, do you know of a brand? All the ones that I've seen have readers the same size as mine.

Thanks Lowwall, do you know of a brand? All the ones that I've seen have readers the same size as mine.
I don't know of anything in New Zealand. But here are examples:

I get my full prescription bifocals made by these folks: Custom Prescription Dive Masks. They are separate eyeglass lenses that are bonded to the inside of the tempered glass lens found in any standard scuba mask.

Apparently some photographers will get one whole lens (either right or left side) set up for near vision while leaving the other for distance vision. I'm sure the brain would eventually sort that out, but I suspect it will cause literal headaches if you only dive occasionally.

I don't know of anything in New Zealand. But here are examples:

I get my full prescription bifocals made by these folks: Custom Prescription Dive Masks. They are separate eyeglass lenses that are bonded to the inside of the tempered glass lens found in any standard scuba mask.

Apparently some photographers will get one whole lens (either right or left side) set up for near vision while leaving the other for distance vision. I'm sure the brain would eventually sort that out, but I suspect it will cause literal headaches if you only dive occasionally.
Thanks very much. Custom Prescription Dive Masks video on placing the bifocal line is interesting thanks.

Do you know that sometimes people get a different magnification for each eye when replacing lenses
I thinks that's ridiculous, how are you going to turn off the hotplate with diminished depth perception

Personally my go will be improving my distance and general vision so I can see, not for 5mins of nudis

So this is it

intraocular-lenses-960x640.jpg

Until then you carry one of these water infused telescope microscopes around your wrist and have a nudi of a time

165 269a.jpg

Do you know that sometimes people get a different magnification for each eye when replacing lenses
I thinks that's ridiculous, how are you going to turn off the hotplate with diminished depth perception

Personally my go will be improving my distance and general vision so I can see, not for 5mins of nudis

So this is it

View attachment 846379

Until then you carry one of these water infused telescope microscopes around your wrist and have a nudi of a time

View attachment 846378
Wow, that was an educational post. I'd never heard of adjustable intraocular lens. I have the first stage of cataracts so maybe they are in my future. But certainly not yet.

Is there a link that you could post to more details about the water infused telescope microscopes please?

What you see is what you can make, and why suffer crap vision now when you are going to get it done then

Now I had not finished and was........

and to clarify what you see is some cheap plastic magnifying lenses, with some spacers
which you sandwich inside the plumbing fittings with holes to permit water in between
because without water in between it not work
fifteen bucks, tops
and the other stuff
I'm no understand why they seem to tell us so
so with this eyes and deterioration I have no idea why people unless it's a money thing
do not get it done ten years sooner whilst we still have the energy to look at girls/boys

and now that I have read your reply

so the way I see it all be it a bit blurred, the people sit with their vision deteriorating for
ten tears suffering crap vision where they could get the op at the start of the ten years?

Very good!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom