Long Shot: 8/22/2014 Lost GoPro on the back side of Molokini

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

GregSaiz

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
On the first dive of my vacation, I made the mistake of trying out a new GoPro mount while live boat diving over deep water. We were near the north-east back side of Molikini (Enenu’i, Point?), perhaps 100 yards from the cliffs. The entry was a giant stride over deep water, swim to the bow descend towards the reef. After reaching the reef at 80', I realized the GoPro had an "independent decent profile" :dork2:. It likely came off during my giant stride entry. I'm uncertain of the depths in that location but it sounds like it could have hit the reef at any depth range from 100-300'.

The camera has my name and phone number inside so if you find it, give me a call and we can work out the salvage fees!

Thanks!

Greg

Thanks DiveMaven, I figured it is probably well beyond the recreation profile limits.

The good news is now you have an excuse to but the new GOPRO 4 coming out soon. There is no way someone is going to just come upon it at such depths.

Even though it is a long shot, I think you made two good moves here.

1. You put your name and address in the housing. Smart!

2. You posted a thread about it here. SB gets a lot of traffic from "Lurkers"... I know. I've met a lot of them!

You just might get lucky, and it might be when you least expect it. Maybe it didn't get all that deep and it's just in a crevice that hasn't been looked in lately.

I hope it finds it's way back to you.

Tip for anyone using a GoPro: They typically sink to the bottom. Get a good lanyard and use it! I have had several of my divers lose these cameras on dives and they were lucky enough that I was there to grab it before it disappeared forever! Putting it on your wrist is not nearly as good as attaching it to your equipment with a long enough lanyard to allow picture taking.

Thanks Shaka. It is possible the camera came off a bit closer to a shallow ledge. If it did sink all the way to 300', it is a lost cause since the Hero 3+ housing is only rated to 130'. Anyway, we've had several GoPro cameras lost and found recently in our local Monterey waters where visibility is usually 20', so miracles do happen!

And yea Scubahawk, the silver lining would be getting a Hero 4.

Shaka Doug is right. We met someone on our last trip who has found 2 of them. One he was able to figure out who owned it and returned it.

When I was diving Molokini this summer, the boat had a discussion about all the gear that is at the bottom at 300 feet. Sort of funny to hear that "there is at least 4 full dive shops worth of gear down there" jokes. But sorry for your misfortune. :)

When I was diving Molokini this summer, the boat had a discussion about all the gear that is at the bottom at 300 feet. Sort of funny to hear that "there is at least 4 full dive shops worth of gear down there" jokes. But sorry for your misfortune. :)

Sounds like a treasure hunt is in store for someone with a rebreather setup!

Sounds like a treasure hunt is in store for someone with a rebreather setup!

As if I didn't have enough of a reason to aim for that with the new wreck at 470'...the logistics of getting everything over to Maui are a PITA, though. Stupid Hawaii and their stupid lack of super ferry... :p

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom