LONG post about a dispute with my LDS

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I live in the San Fernando Valley (where it is much too hot right now).
Most of the better diving takes place off of Channel Islands, Catalina, or someplace in San Diego....at least as far as I've heard.

Originally posted by Crrink
I live in the San Fernando Valley (where it is much too hot right now).
Most of the better diving takes place off of Channel Islands, Catalina, or someplace in San Diego....at least as far as I've heard.
Well that gives the Board something to work with...
Hopefully suggestions of dive locations and maybe even a favorite LDS will be forthcoming.

I'm hoping to benefit from the collective wisdom of the board.
I didn't name the LDS for two reasons:
-I want to wait and see how this turns out so I can give the full story
-I wanted to hear what people with more experience than I have had to say

When this thing is resolved, I'll be happy to name the shop, but until then, I thought it would be more fair to the shop to post the whole story so people can judge for themselves.

Agree with UP. This is a straightforward trade dispute with what appears to be the usual measure of fault on both sides. If you name the shop then it would be unfair since the LDS owner hasn't had the opportunity to say his piece.

Originally posted by Crrink
EDIT: eh, just reread some of your posts, looks like I'm being too sensitive. That Wreckwriter guy's comment that I'm a 'nightmare customer' bugged me more than it should've :wink:

I'm sorry about that description Chris. Sometimes I let my mouth (errrr fingers..) get ahead of me and say things I shouldn't. That was one of them. Most of the folks here are better that way than I.

Haven't changed my opinion, just should have left that particular comment out. My apologies.

Tom

Appreciate it, but it's no big deal.
Like I said, just being too sensitive.

Originally posted by Welshman
the LDS owner hasn't had the opportunity to say his piece.
Heyyyyyyy.... now there is an interesting idea....

Chris... howaboutcha get the owner of the shop to sign onto Scuba Board and give his side of the story!!!

We'll be Judge Judy :smash:

I'm not trying to be critical of you but you have to think out the whole picture.

I went by the number 4 students you used assuming at least 16 hours (2 days) for ow dives and 16 hours for the classes 1400/32 hours is $43 an hour less expenses.. I was estimating the other numbers in my head..
a reasonable fee would be $25 an hour to the instructor which for the cancelled weekend is $400, I allowed being cheap to the instructor for half that at $200. and the 1 ow dive day at $100..

The eqpt was available for you the day before..I would have allowed extra time for you to get there that day but I wouldn't open up earlier.. I feel you should have made an effort to get there.. Granted it should have been there earlier but delays do happen... I would not compromise safety and a chance that you needed something else at the boat by getting the eqpt there.. I don't know the agreement the store has with the boat, its quite possible that if they cancelled at the boat the store would have been responsible for additional charges, I cant speak here.. There should be some allowance for when the instructor cancelled and I think the $130 was a fair offer..
like I said I also didn't take into account pool costs since I don't know if the dive store owns or rents the pool.. I know in NY our costs are typically $100-150 an hour and we pay if we reserved the time, nomatter if any shows.

How much do you make an hour?? This guy is taking lots of responsibility and should be compensated.. splitting the costs over 4 students (the store probably did the right thing and ate the cost for the other 2 students) gave you a reasonable price, that extra weekend may not seem like a big thing to you but how much do you expect to get paid to work a weekend????

Most instructors ARE NOT EMPLOYEES of the store they teach for, technically they are outside contractors otherwise the store must meet OSHA standards and up to last year that meant an instructor who was an employee couldn't even use Nitrox to increase their safety..

Chris,
I really have to side with the LDS on this one (and that rarely happens :)). Could you imagine what would happen if all of their customers were like you? It would be impossible to run any sort of a class. And I really have to say that the $130 you are getting back is a fair amount. IMO the shop could have gotten away with not giving you anything back.

As for all the problem picking up equipment, how is it the LDS's problem that you live a long ways from them and don't want to drive? When I took my OW, we had to pick up our equip the friday before the dives. When we got to the dive site on Sat, we were given the tanks - not before. You really can't expect them to let you pick it up earlier - especially since frequently the same equip and tanks have been used the night before in the pool sessions. I think that if you wanted the type of service you obviously think you should have gotten, you should have hired an instructor for a completely private class - and paid the premium for that.

I would also like to hear the LDS's side of this one. Not that I think you're lying, but in a dispute stories are often different from each side.

For any LDS owners/employees - is dealing with a customer like Chris worth the money he spent??

Darryl

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom