Long...MK10 plus ?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking at it further it appears I may have been mistaken and perhaps both white washers were atop the piston spring, but I can't be sure, should have taken better mental notes when disassembling.

IIRC, one above, one below the spring is how mine came....

IIRC, one above, one below the spring is how mine came....

On a MK10 yes, but on a MK10 Plus? As no schematic shows such a set up. Up until 1998 all three shims, according to the literature, were to be used on the hp seat retainer cap, up to three. In 1999 they appear to have introduced a shim (01-060-101) to sit above the spring centering washer (10-500-118).

IIRC, they aren't "shims" for IP, but rather "anti-icing" which is what the 10+ was supposed to be all about...

okay, going back through some stuff, I'm thinking you have a MK-10 that has been converted to a 10+, (hence the 10 knob) and the original shims from the 10 were still in it, and more were added at the seat retainer as that is where they are put with the 10+...

Did you check IP before you tore it down?

I'm trying to go on memory, but the 10+ I got was a complete train wreck, so it may have not been properly assembled, or I'm not 100% on how it came as it was some time, and many regulators ago......

okay, going back through some stuff, I'm thinking you have a MK-10 that has been converted to a 10+, (hence the 10 knob) and the original shims from the 10 were still in it, and more were added at the seat retainer as that is where they are put with the 10+...

Did you check IP before you tore it down?

Could be but I don't think so, the whole reg looks pretty much like new. As a rule the Japanese don't usually upgrade etc usually how it's bought, save recall, is how it's sold.

It's possible it's been serviced but perhaps incorrectly. According to schematics it came in two flavors pre 1999 centering spring washer and no shim and post, shim and centering washer. My spring end looks like neither. I've never seen white shims either, they are of a different material than normal, they are "rough" not smooth and although not paper, they feel more paper than plastic.

Around 135 at full tank, 130 at near empty.

I'm still thinking mine had one on each end of the spring....

Usually the MK10s that have been converted to plus are shiny chrome with a satin seat retainer. I don't think I've ever seen a satin MK10, but that doesn't mean they don't exist.

Simon, I would put a shim under the spring on the opposite end from the piston, clean up and re-use the centering bushing, and then use as many of the thinner shims as you need on the seat retainer. I would also polish the end of the piston shaft with some micromesh, maybe starting around 2400 grit. If you're only getting 5 PSI change in IP from full to empty tank that's very good for a MK10.

Back
Top Bottom