Long Island Shore Diving Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Mudd

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Looking for a buddy for some shore diving on Long Island. Not picky as to location - looking to get wet on some local sites.

Anyone interested, please let me know...

I just got a book on shore diving in Long Island because I'd like to, but I would need to practice a lot more before attempting it. Looks like lots of the sites have strong currents. Especially on the North shore where the tide can run 8 feet.

Mudd -

I interested in getting in some local dives as I have always been a vacation diver and am not familiar with the local dive sites. I will be out of town every weekend until mid September assuming you are looking at weekend dates.

Can I PM you if my schedule changes?

I just got a book on shore diving in Long Island because I'd like to, but I would need to practice a lot more before attempting it. Looks like lots of the sites have strong currents. Especially on the North shore where the tide can run 8 feet.

I may have the same book... Long Island Shore Diver by Daniel Berg? I know that with some of these sites it is imperative that you time it with the tide. Luckily there are a lot of friendly, much-more-experienced-than-me locals :D

Can I PM you if my schedule changes?

No problem.

kc divers in brooklyn is having a shore dive thing this weekend at cedar beach at 10am at high tide

Yup that is the book. A friend are I trying to get a dive club together to do some local diving but only got as far as creating a website right now. We are not very experienced divers though. I only have about 20-25 done and many were years ago. I redid my certification this year. If your interested you can click my profile homepage and check it out. I just got all new gear and would definitely like to go test it out locally. Buying gear blew the charter boat budget. It would be nice to meet some LI vets that don't mind showing people some local sites that aren't too difficult.

Count me in! I started a site as well, nycsubwaydivers.com just a forum but no members yet. local diving here can be cool albeit tricky.

Hi folks, I've been on a few of the dive sites on Long Island. I've been diving some areas of Long Island for a few years. Yes, the tides are key but just check out the dive tables before you plan a dive.

Or, check out the schedule for the Long Island Dive Club (Beach Diving: The Dive Club, Long Island NY) and go meet folks that, like you, are just looking for others to buddy up with.

If that schedule doesn't work for you, Dan Berg's book is great. I live in Nassau county so the trek to eastern Long Island is far for me. Beach 8th Street is a great dive, really easy, can't really get lost if you don't venture far from the cove. It just gets crowded there because of the popularity of the site and fisherman. Plus, for me, it's a small hike to Queens.

I like Caumsett Park but you need a SCUBA permit and buddy to access the beach. Plus it's $6 to get in. Not deep, only around 10-12 feet but easy enough access and no currents or boats. I haven't been in a while though so I don't have a permit anymore.

The Bayville Barge is a nice easy dive and you can find a "wreck". The site is residential so you have respect the area, keep noise to a minimum and mind where you park. This too is 8-10ft.

If you do wish to venture further east, there's Cedar Beach Jetties (medium), Secret Beach (easy), the Ponquoque Bridge (difficult) and Greenport Bridge (easy). You have to watch the tides for these.

Anyone know any sites in Smithtown Bay area? I have resident parking for all those beaches.

You have four in the general vicinity:

Center Island Beach (apparently a long swim is required to get to the depth) This is near the Center Island Police station on Bayville Avenue

Caumsett State Park (need an especially special permit for this one :( )

Eatons Neck Barge (be very careful of your kicking here) Beach at the end of Birmingham in Eaton's Neck Approximately quarter mile down the beach, between two poles on the bay side

Makamah (not much aquatic life here - used as a warmup) At the end of Makamah Road in Huntington - may have parking issues

I have never dove any of these sites, so my information is coming purely from a book...

If you need a buddy, let me know.

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom