Long Island Shore Diving Anyone?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you're a new diver, I'd recommend that you stay away from Eaton's Neck Oyster Barge until you have some dives under your belt. It's real easy to kick up the bottom and lose visibility of your buddy. I've had black out situations where a 50W halogen light couldn't be seen with a few feet of a buddy. My fault entirely for kicking up the bottom of course. You don't realize that when you swim for the barge, everything behind you is now kicked up, even when you're 5 feet off the bottom. Plus, it's also a relatively long swim and a lot of work to the barge and back to the shore. And, since it's a favorite for boaters, you need to be aware of the traffic even though you're dragging a dive flag. Not exactly an "easy" dive. Not a big deal but you just need to be aware of these factors before you decide to attempt it.

On the pro side, this is great site for practicing skills, like navigation (since it's kind of difficult to find the barge) and bouyancy (since touching the bottom creates low vis). Another pro is that this is a great fall back site for those eager to get wet despite the poor weather conditions. It could be ripping on the shore but since this is protected in a cove, it's usually great here. The tide swings some 7+ feet but here it doesn't matter much since the barge is in some 30 ft of water. The vis will vary from clear to murky and there have been times where I would not go in due to poor vis.

For those still interested in going, I'd recommend going after the beach closes and usually early in the morning. And, on your way to the beach, YOU MUST OBSERVE YOUR SPEED. There are police officers that watch that stetch like a hawk and will pull you over for the slightest infraction.

BTW, I love this site.

The Bayville Barge is a nice easy dive and you can find a "wreck". The site is residential so you have respect the area, keep noise to a minimum and mind where you park. This too is 8-10ft.

I'm usually out their once or twice a week during the summer months. Great spot for spearfishing/Lobster. The wreck is actually a pair of WW1 subs which were scuttled to create a breakwater for the ocean that at one time came right up to the edge of the road. It's a pretty interesting piece of LI history actually, apparently at some point after that, a small child drowned playing in the area around the subs so the town decided that they were gonna fill in the entire area around the subs with sand.

Obviously that became quite an undertaking so the town eventually just started to fill the area with all kinds of large junk. Cars, trucks, fridges, washing machines whatever and then eventually just covered all that stuff up with a few feet of sand. Today only the 2 subs are still visible, but the entire length of the beach that your walking on is actually poured over an entire junkyard full of old vehicles and such.

This is also the reason why there is almost no development from the site of the subs (Walls Wharf) on, for many years before it became the nice beach we have today it existed as just a large community junkyard.

Looking for a buddy for some shore diving on Long Island. Not picky as to location - looking to get wet on some local sites.

Anyone interested, please let me know...
Def interested.
PM me if anyone wants to buddy up.
Live in LI, and am AOW and Rescue cert. Looking forward to exploring the waters around here. Diving the Algol next Sunday on the Jeanne II. No LI shore diving knowledge but know there's lots of info and people to help. Although tis near the end of season maybe we can still plan one dive. Let me know.

Hey Aquabear, are you diving wet? Season is good probably through early Nov before it gets cold. I've been diving through end of December in the past. Now's the best time for diving since the boating traffic and beach traffic subside. The tough part is staying warm while you change in/out of clothes in the cold weather. Minivans are great for the job! :)

Maybe a bunch of folks from this thread can plan a shore dive for the following weeking. Anyone interested, I'll pick a spot and time in Nassau county somewhere for the next weekend (Sat, 9/27 in the morning, depending on tides).

Urbanroy - I'd love join you guys but will be shore diving in the Cape Ann area with some Dive NY members (a social group within SB forum) who will be in that same area on that same weekend. We're meeting up with some Boston SB'ers.

Dive NY will be diving Dutch Sept 19th, 20th and 21st if anyone is interested in joining us at Dutch.

Dive NY is trying to get a headcount for Jeanne II's Leisure Sunday dive on Sunday, Oct 5th, out of Brooklyn going to Lizzie D wreck, you're all welcome to join us on that too. All the info is posted on Dive NY forum.

Everyone on this thread is welcome to join Dive NY social group, go to Group Membership and click onto Dive NY to join.

I would enjoy diving with everyone. It is kind of lonely up here in Rhinebeck. Anyone know of any CHEAP campgrounds on east LI?

John

Cape Ann and Dutch are not in the cards for me (can't take the full days). Looks like Tides are all late for this weekend, getting to high tides in the mid afternoon along the North Shore. Good time for Dutch. I might be able to make the Jeannie II dive on Oct 5th though but will check my schedule.

Cape Ann and Dutch are not in the cards for me (can't take the full days). Looks like Tides are all late for this weekend, getting to high tides in the mid afternoon along the North Shore. Good time for Dutch. I might be able to make the Jeannie II dive on Oct 5th though but will check my schedule.

We'll be at Dutch on Saturday the 20th as well, if weekend dates work better for you. Let me know about Jeanne II as soon as you know so I can inform the Captain.

All are welcome, you can PM if you change your mind. Apologies if anyone feels I've highjacked the thread, just wanted to invite anyone who was buddy-less to dive with us.

I am a new diver who lives on Long Island. My original dive buddy is no longer in any nearby vicinity, so I would like to meet some new people to dive with who wouldn't mind having a newbie come with them. Let me know if anyone is ever interested.

Well I caught this thread a bit late but if anybody is still planning any shore dives I may be interested. The Ponquogue Bridge used to be quite good this time of year. PM me if you are looking for dive partner.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom