Long Island Diving -- sites/shops? (Hampton)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jnbblues

Registered
Reaction score
I don't have a lot of warm water trips planned for this summer but will be spending a lot of time in Long Island. Any ideas or tips on where to dive on the island? Maybe out in the Hamptons?

Additionally, the water will probably be pretty cold (until August)... will a 3mm wetsuit be OK?

Many thanks!

Hampton dive center will be close to you and is a pretty good shop.

The Jean Marie is a dive boat that sailes from Hampton bays several times a week.
Also the Seaturtle is based out on Montauk and runns several times a week.

Ill post links shortly

Jean Marie Dive charters
Seaturtle dive charters

BTW a 3 mill suit will be a little light for the most part. Any dive to 60 foot or deeper will be too cold. 5mill is the least I would use, I use a 5 mill freediving suit in august for a few dives for fun but thats it.

Thanks for the info Salty!

Regards,

salty:
BTW a 3 mill suit will be a little light for the most part. Any dive to 60 foot or deeper will be too cold. 5mill is the least I would use, I use a 5 mill freediving suit in august for a few dives for fun but thats it.

I agree with Salty that a 3mm is a little light. If you don't want to go w/ a full 5mm you could try a vest and hood in addition to your 3mm. I mostly freedive at Montauk and Orient and use that combo, but obviously am not at depth for any length of time. Consider a trip to Block Island sometime during the summer. Vis can be good to great, and there is lots of life. Off of Montauk and Orient Pts can both be nice, but generally a fair amount of current. The "Oregon" is a popular wreck to dive. If I remember right (doubtful!) its at around 100' and is about 15 miles off the south shore out of either Moriches or Fire Island Inlet.

The oragon rests in 130 feet, most of the wreck can be explored at 125 to 110 with the huge engine reaching up to 70 feet. It is without a doubt the best dive in 130 ft or less and worth the trip if your experienced enough.

Saltatrix:
I am starting to freedive more and more, I have a few good spots in orient and am looking to partner up with someone to do a little more freediving. Do you spearfish or just dive?

Salty; I spearfish for stripers and blackfish. Montauk and Orient are a blast. The south side of Montauk is especially nice. PM me and we can put a trip together.

salty:
The oragon rests in 130 feet, most of the wreck can be explored at 125 to 110 with the huge engine reaching up to 70 feet. It is without a doubt the best dive in 130 ft or less and worth the trip if your experienced enough.

Saltatrix:
I am starting to freedive more and more, I have a few good spots in orient and am looking to partner up with someone to do a little more freediving. Do you spearfish or just dive?

Saltatrix:
The south side of Montauk is especially nice. PM me and we can put a trip together.

For sure, I once had a wall of stripers swim by me in 30 feet of water on the south side. I was so amazed I dident get a shot off, I just watched the whole school swim by!

Ill be in touch when the water warm up.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom