Long hose positioning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My GUE trained buddy uses an 8' hose run under an $8.00 mini-Maglite sheath with a $2.00 steak knife worn on the left of the buckle (he's 6'7"). If you're short, use a 6' hose, "WHO CARES"??? If you can find a single GUE instructor who would not let you take a class because the student is using an appropriate length hose (to the diver) routed in an appropriate fashion, please out them here.

You have my like ScubaInChicago. I use the long hose with this o-ring to have one thing less to worry about. I used a little knife with the sheath on the right of the buckle too.

Enviado desde mi iPhone con Tapatalk

I'm intrigued with the clipping idea -- after all, I can't imagine unclipping the hose being all that much more complicated than pulling it out from behind a canister. But what do you clip it TO? I don't have anything on my equipment that would make a reasonable point to secure the loop of long hose.

Part our our S-Drill before each cave dive is deploying the full length of a 7' hose for our buddy to see there were no tangles. I would ABSOLUTELY refuse to dive with someone who had their 7' hose clipped off.

If you guys are clipping off your 7' hose. Please let your buddy know this prior to making a dive. He just might not want to make the dive with you.

Ok, I understand the canister idea now. It does look like the solution to my problem.

Time to resist the urge to buy a torch with canister (although having seen the price that won't be to hard). Maybe it's time to start carrying a knife (or just the sheath).
If I don't have my can light on,I use the Halcyon weight pouch to tuck mine. It works really well,too.

---------- Post added November 28th, 2013 at 07:19 AM ----------

Ok, I understand the canister idea now. It does look like the solution to my problem.

Time to resist the urge to buy a torch with canister (although having seen the price that won't be to hard). Maybe it's time to start carrying a knife (or just the sheath).
I don't dive anywhere but my pool without a knife. A knife can save your life! You NEED a knife! There is a guy on SB that makes can lights for about $225, if that's something you want to get.

I would ABSOLUTELY refuse to dive with someone who had their 7' hose clipped off.

this is general scuba, not tech/wreck/cave; not running a full press cave rig is not the end of the world.

I personally run a 5', non wrapped routing; 90 deg elbow off the reg, straight down the right side of the chest, through a $3 hose retainer clipped off the lower right belt d-ring and back up behind / in the BC taco to the first stage. cant stand things wrapped around my neck, and those miflex hoses will chew ya up right proper like if left to rub on bare skin. there's enough give to fully extend the primary donated reg in hand; once donated, comes unclipped with a slight tug or flap of the elbow. one of the cave experienced divecons during stress and rescue class gave me some good natured ribbing about it, but it behaved flawlessly in the pool scenario sessions and all S-drills done prior.

my dive buddy is fully aware of my clipped off hose, and she's fine with that.

I'm intrigued with the clipping idea -- after all, I can't imagine unclipping the hose being all that much more complicated than pulling it out from behind a canister. But what do you clip it TO? I don't have anything on my equipment that would make a reasonable point to secure the loop of long hose.

When it comes to long hose length, GUE used to allow a 40" hose for open water -- but that causes issues with routing, unless you use a right-angle adapter. The 5' hose was also acceptable for OW, but it is a bit short for people with broad torsos. They eventually decided to put everybody in the 7' hose, simply because it standardized things to a greater degree. But if you aren't taking GUE classes, a 5 or 6 foot hose (depending on your torso size) is a very reasonable way to provide a comfortable length of hose without worrying about securing the extra. It's a good compromise for people who aren't using a harness-based BCD. It's not as comfortable for prolonged swimming while sharing gas as the 7' hose is.
I use a 7 foot hose, like TSandM. I'm 61" tall and I believe TSandM is vertically challenged as well. I don't find it a problem to use the longer hose,at all.

Clipping a hose defeats the purpose of its designed use as an emergency backup for another diver. I gave away my canister light so I route my hose under a pair of shears in a sheath on my right side.

My GUE trained buddy uses an 8' hose run under an $8.00 mini-Maglite sheath with a $2.00 steak knife worn on the left of the buckle (he's 6'7"). If you're short, use a 6' hose, "WHO CARES"??? If you can find a single GUE instructor who would not let you take a class because the student is using an appropriate length hose (to the diver) routed in an appropriate fashion, please out them here.

Try and show up for a cave class with a 6ft hose. See how that works out.

I route my long (7 ft) under my arm and then tuck it in my chest strap. Its easy to deploy, easy to adjust, keeps it trim and works well for me. Being tall and thick, if i tuck it in my waist strap it tends to come loose too easily. The chest strap is a lot like it but keeps it secure. During S drills it deploys without any issues and can be restowed just as easily. As an added advantage if we were in a situation to need to swim head to toe to get thru something, the hose isn't under a can light and need to be freed for the OOA diver to be in front. It's effective, comfortable, and works for me.

Try and show up for a cave class with a 6ft hose. See how that works out.
If I were 4'2" I would...otherwise a 7' works for me...you can still be single file with 6' of hose...Not sure how it works on a DPV, You might have a leg to stand on there...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom