Long hose positioning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Keep in mind, the full deployment of the LH is scenario dependent. At the onset of the need to share air, and unless you are reaching in to some confined area to provide air, the objective is to be close and "controlling". Only after air supply is established, and things have settled to go on to the next step, do you ponder the need/benefit of full deployment.

That makes sense! I like a bit more 'personal space' during air sharing: it's easier for me to control ascents when I've got a reference point that is not too close.

Do you cut your buddy out of his gear each time you dive with him so as to keep in practice?
Not every single time :) But I do practice rescue techniques regularly, minus the cutting part - even I could not screw up cutting a harness.

go to dss and look at thier fake lights. it is a piece of say2" pvc about 6" long with cuts in it for the web belt. it is put on in place of the canister light when you do not need that light. now you are able to loop the long hose teh same way as if you had a light canistor on. here is a link https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1335 . it works great and i am sure there are other options that can accomplish the same.

regards

I've got the same problem. I can tuck it but there's not enough length to keep it there at all times.

I don't understand this fake light canister idea.

Are you diving a BP wing combo? Do you wear a knife on the the waist strap of your BCD? I loop it under my knife then up my left side and around my neck to my mouth. I am 5'10" tall and it works very well. My wife dives with a 5' hose she is 5'7". I personally stay with a 7' hose because that is what I dive with on back mount twins and right side sidemount. I have also taken the excess length and pulled it under my waist strap when I am using a rental harness without a knife.

Jim

Do you hold the long hose under your bcd belt strap? Do you hold it in place there by any other method than the pressure between your belly and the strap?

I do not feel I'd need to give the entire length on a hurry. The initial length given by just passing the hose over my head is more than fine. However, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable holding it secured to the belt with a snapbolt.

On your right side waiste belt, either put a large pocket on the belt, or a knife you can route the hose under...these being the inexpensive routing choices...the preferred solution if $$ is easy, would be the cannister light.
See pocket HAL-harness-zipper-pocket-10.030.001_detail.jpg

Get a 5' hose

If you're diving in open water, I completely agree with this. The 7ft hose is for single file air sharing in restrictions and is not necessary for OW diving. The slightly shorter long hose (5ft or maybe a custom length) that routes across the chest is very comfortable, streamlined, and offers the same benefits. I have both a 5' and 7' hose; I use the 5' hose in OW and the 7' in restrictions.

If you're diving in open water, I completely agree with this. The 7ft hose is for single file air sharing in restrictions and is not necessary for OW diving. The slightly shorter long hose (5ft or maybe a custom length) that routes across the chest is very comfortable, streamlined, and offers the same benefits. I have both a 5' and 7' hose; I use the 5' hose in OW and the 7' in restrictions.

The only problem I have with the 5 foot length, is that when you go short like this, it means you are not routing the hose under a light or pocket, so it is just running around your torso....I prefer the nice tight to my body routing I get with the 7 foot hose routed under my cannister light--the hose stays exactly where I want it to, never moving unless I want it to. With the 5 foot alternative, it can be sloppier since nothing holds it in place....It is not normally an issue while you are holding a horizontal trim, but if you have to take a vertical position for some reason, the hose will start moving....so my complaint only relates to a small percentage of dive times, but it is still an annoyance you don't have to ever endure.....I dont see the negative of the 7 foot hose...once routed, it is awesomely comfortable, and it is easy to deploy...what exactly is the negative to having a 7 foot length? Is it the whole "needing to route" issue?

My wife started with a 5' hose. Did a bunch of dives on it, and decided she would rather have the extra, just for minor adjustments, and went with a 6 ft hose. Something to consider also.

She is 5'6 and slim, so there is no extra hose routing required for her. Just to route it under left side waist area, was just a touch too small

The negative is that it's too long for most people to comfortably route without a can light. Tucking the excess under a waist belt 'works' but the best thing (IMO) is simply to not have the excess in the first place. I've used both a 7ft and 5 ft hose in OW and I know from experience that the shorter option is far more convenient. For me, and I'm an average size person, a 5ft hose routes perfectly across the chest and doesn't get in the way at all. If anything, it's a few inches too short. Ultimately, if hogarthian principles ever make it into mainstream recreational diving instruction (as they should!) there would be a good selection of standard recreational long hose lengths, maybe in 4" increments.

I believe that choosing a long hose length that routes most efficiently for the specific dive environment exemplifies hogarthian principles much more than simply using a cave set up in OW. To each his own.

BTW, the use of the can light to secure the 7ft hose is only practiced because the cave (or wreck) environment requires a hose long enough to share air single file, not because there's any advantage in routing for the longer hose. The idea of using a fake light canister to secure an un-needed 2 ft of hose makes no sense to me at all, unless a diver just needs to make do with a 7ft hose for occasional OW diving. But it's hardly logical to voluntarily purchase a 7ft hose, then do a work around, for primarily OW diving.

The negative is that it's too long for most people to comfortably route without a can light. Tucking the excess under a waist belt 'works' but the best thing (IMO) is simply to not have the excess in the first place. I've used both a 7ft and 5 ft hose in OW and I know from experience that the shorter option is far more convenient. For me, and I'm an average size person, a 5ft hose routes perfectly across the chest and doesn't get in the way at all. If anything, it's a few inches too short. Ultimately, if hogarthian principles ever make it into mainstream recreational diving instruction (as they should!) there would be a good selection of standard recreational long hose lengths, maybe in 4" increments.

I believe that choosing a long hose length that routes most efficiently for the specific dive environment exemplifies hogarthian principles much more than simply using a cave set up in OW. To each his own.

BTW, the use of the can light to secure the 7ft hose is only practiced because the cave (or wreck) environment requires a hose long enough to share air single file, not because there's any advantage in routing for the longer hose. The idea of using a fake light canister to secure an un-needed 2 ft of hose makes no sense to me at all, unless a diver just needs to make do with a 7ft hose for occasional OW diving. But it's hardly logical to voluntarily purchase a 7ft hose, then do a work around, for primarily OW diving.

I have been on charterboats with good sized groups of "average" recreational divers, and come upon several OOA divers over the last decade.....Each time, the ease of swimming with the OOA diver on the 7 foot hose was extremely comfortable to the OOA diver....Almost to the point of them wanting to stay down longer to enjoy more of the dive, now that they had plenty of air again....While certainly I could have easily handled each situation with the standard length hose, the ease and comfort of the OOA diver could not be this high on the swim back to the boat or to the surface. The 7 foot hose is almost as comfortable for the OOA diver, as suddenly finding themself on a Brownies 3rd Lung or other Surface Supplied Air system.....they feel totally safe and unemcumbered.....If course, you DO encumber them with control until you see and feel that they are calm and in control of themselves :)

Back
Top Bottom