Long hose positioning.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanshin

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Do you hold the long hose under your bcd belt strap? Do you hold it in place there by any other method than the pressure between your belly and the strap?

I do not feel I'd need to give the entire length on a hurry. The initial length given by just passing the hose over my head is more than fine. However, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable holding it secured to the belt with a snapbolt.

I AM TOO TALL TO tuck it under the waist belt. if you are short it would probably be more feasable for you than me. generally speeking you do not want to secure the long hose to anything, or cover it with other equipment as a means to keep it from drifting amuk. The intent is that with in seconds you can deploy the long hose to a ooa recipient with nothing more than a head wrap and and extending the reg to the buddy. sounds easy but think about having to swim to the buddies location, may be 20-50 ft, and you deploy during the transit to him. I would recommend you look at the hogarthian set up. you can make a fake light canistrer from some pvc and put it on the right belt strap. costs maybe a buck to so that. If you do that ,,,then,, each time you enter the water test the deployability of the long hose to confirm there are no problems. You will be testing your backup reg in the process also.

You do need to deploy the entire length. after the head wrap the end of the hose is going to be at your waist and unless you can deploy the entire length you wont have any space between you unless he sucks air from a 30 inch hose ending at your waist, that mmeans you cant be face to face and communicate.

good luck

You need to be able to deploy the entire length without having to unclip it.

usually I tuck the extra bit under a canister light, which I carry on the right side.

With a single tank set up I'll normally hook the hose under a weight block on the right side. If for some reason that doesn't work for you then I would recommend tucking it under the weightbelt itself. That way it can be fully deployed by just pulling on it and it won't be in the way.

What's also important to keeping the hose sitting where you want it is that the initial routing of the hose starting on the 1st stage should be straight down the side of the tank. Many times when people have issues with it floating over their head it can be at least partially sorted out by adjusting the initial routing.

Good luck.
R..

I AM TOO TALL TO tuck it under the waist belt. if you are short it would probably be more feasable for you than me. generally speeking you do not want to secure the long hose to anything, or cover it with other equipment as a means to keep it from drifting amuk. The intent is that with in seconds you can deploy the long hose to a ooa recipient with nothing more than a head wrap and and extending the reg to the buddy. sounds easy but think about having to swim to the buddies location, may be 20-50 ft, and you deploy during the transit to him. I would recommend you look at the hogarthian set up. you can make a fake light canistrer from some pvc and put it on the right belt strap. costs maybe a buck to so that. If you do that ,,,then,, each time you enter the water test the deployability of the long hose to confirm there are no problems. You will be testing your backup reg in the process also.

You do need to deploy teh entire length. if you hooked it to your belt you no longer have a 7 ft hose . you have a 3-4 foot hose coming fron your waist as opposed to the 3 ft coming from the tank valve with a short hose. you would now have a worse situation in that your buddy's head has to be at your waist ti get any distance from you to allow the both of you to do what you need to do to assend, and in that position communication is tough.

good luck

I AM TOO TALL TO tuck it under the waist belt.

I've got the same problem. I can tuck it but there's not enough length to keep it there at all times.

you can make a fake light canistrer from some pvc and put it on the right belt strap. costs maybe a buck to so that. If you do that ,,,then,, each time you enter the water test the deployability of the long hose to confirm there are no problems. You will be testing your backup reg in the process also.

I don't understand this fake light canister idea.

I do not feel I'd need to give the entire length on a hurry. The initial length given by just passing the hose over my head is more than fine. However, I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable holding it secured to the belt with a snapbolt.

Don't clip it! Fiddling with a boltsnap during an out-of-air situation would add unnecessary stress to the situation. Like KWS and Diver0001 wrote, tuck it in the waistbelt, around a light canister/pvc pipe, or a knife that you wear on the right hand side. Here's a picture of what it looks like during donation. See how the canister, a knife or a piece of pvc pipe secure the hose? Here are some more pictures.

Be sure to practice donating your regulator: use the GUE S-drill for example.

---------- Post Merged at 11:50 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 11:17 AM ----------

I don't understand this fake light canister idea.

It's a short piece of PVC pipe that you attach to the waistbelt; easy and cheap to make yourself, but if you are really lazy you can buy one: https://www.deepseasupply.com/index.php?product=1335.

Last edited:
See how the canister, a knife or a piece of pvc pipe secure the hose? Here are some more pictures.

Ok, I understand the canister idea now. It does look like the solution to my problem.

Time to resist the urge to buy a torch with canister (although having seen the price that won't be to hard). Maybe it's time to start carrying a knife (or just the sheath).

despite the strong anti-clip position here, I do in fact do that. Using a break away link like a snorkel keeper or an o-ring achieves the goals of keeping it in place, and still a simple and fast deploy. Food for thought, YMMV.

Using a break away link like a snorkel keeper or an o-ring achieves the goals of keeping it in place, and still a simple and fast deploy.

How do you re-stow it after a practice deployment? Tuck it in your waistbelt?

air share is the same regardless of if the hose is fully deployed or not, so that aspect is not done....

actually drilled that way in achieving MSD & Rescue certs.

Keep in mind, the full deployment of the LH is scenario dependent. At the onset of the need to share air, and unless you are reaching in to some confined area to provide air, the objective is to be close and "controlling". Only after air supply is established, and things have settled to go on to the next step, do you ponder the need/benefit of full deployment.

Do you cut your buddy out of his gear each time you dive with him so as to keep in practice?

Back
Top Bottom