• Long LP hose on your 2nd Stage

Votes: 131 86.8%
  • Long LP hose on your Octo

Votes: 19 12.6%
  • Long LP hose on...BOTH

Votes: 1 0.7%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dr. Jay

Contributor
Reaction score
Sorry if this is a stupid question, but I was just wondering which hose is the standard (I guess the DIR) for attaching the 7ft+ hose...your second stage or the octo?

I was hoping to shoot down the right path for tech diving in the future and I wanted to know what's being taught before I start looking at prices and such.

I've heard conflicting things from different people on the board, as well as what shops and such call a "7ft hose for your 2nd stage" and the same hose is also called a "7ft hose for your octo"...I'm soo confused :question:

There are two factors here. The long hose and primary second stage donation.

You can do either one or both or neither.

The DIR way is to have long hose on your primary second stage and this is the reg you donate to an out of air buddy (or stranger). You then revert to your 'back-up' reg that is on a short hose.

If you don't want to doante your primary (this has been discussed once or twice) then putting a long hose on your octo will give your out of air buddy more room to move. One problem is storing the reg after you have finished air sharing.

The long hose is of particular benefit in caves and wrecks. You don't need a long hose for open water diving (even if you are DIR) but it does make air sharing easier.

You don't need to donate your primary but there are a lot of benefits.

Personally I have a 7ft hose on my primary reg and this is the reg I plan to donate.

Hope this helps

I agree with Nickjb to a point. I have a long hose on all my recreational reg set ups as well as the Tech set ups. OOA situations are the same and having it as opposed to wanting it is preferred. I didn't know about the air warming though. You'll have to make your own mind up.
Wreck/Tec

I prefer identical second stages for both primary and backup regulators. When using a 7' hose I breathe it.
Rick

My procedure is the same as R. Murchison's. I run a decent performing second stage for both regs. The idea of having a crummy secondary second stage is from left field. If you were in an OOA situation, and your buddy donated a reg to you that breathed poorly, thus adding to your stress level, how woulld you feel about it? Just something to consider.

That's part of the reason why I originally went w/an octo in-line w/the inflator hose (which I will probably get rid of as time goes on). Most of the cave divers and experienced divers and such I talked to said your buddy normally goes for your primary anyway. Fortunately, I haven't been in that situation yet.

Along those lines, how do you normally deal with the extra "hos-age" on your primary? Do you use a swivel and tuck it under your arm?

Thanks for your replies :D

No swivel it's another failure point. This is most comfortable with a 5 or 7 foot hose. route the hose down the right side of your body, if you use a canister light, loop it under the light, bringing the hose across the body, over your left shoulder and behind your neck into the mouth. If you dont use a canister, the 5' is most manageable, and you can tuck any excess hose into your waist strap.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom