"long haul" Flower Gardens trips?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

archman

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
Has anyone ever been out on a FGB cruise longer than the normal two day trip? I know the Fling and Spree occasionally offer longer trips, and was wondering what the additions to dive sites (if any) were.

Can you imagine just how kick-butt it would be to spend five days straight there? I'd pee my pants just thinking about it... aw yuk where's a towel...

I doubt very seriously if Las Vegas would ever offer odds on five straight days of perfect conditions in the Gulf of Mexico.

ScubaTexan:
I doubt very seriously if Las Vegas would ever offer odds on five straight days of perfect conditions in the Gulf of Mexico.

Well heck, I've been out for over two weeks in the Gulf on three separate occasions. Five foot seas were a rarity. As for perfect conditions (I'm assuming you mean glass seas), I've never seen more than four days straight of THAT.

Longest I ever heard of was when a member of HUC went along as crew on one of the boats when it went to some islands off Nicaragua(possession of Colombia) on a research trip conducted in winter. Divers flew in and met boat there. But alas she said she only got in a few dives. Worked the rest of the time. Pictures were interesting though

AFAIK,

The long trips that the gulf-diver boats take are during the summer when the Gulf conditions do not tend to vary as much. They just spend more time on each of the banks. The SI's are a little longer and they stretch out the diving a little more. I talked at length about this with Capt Frank over a year ago, so my memory is rusty.

TwoBit

My 1st trip out on the SeaSearcher II was a 3 dayer. It was during the coral spawning. Unfortunately the trip was cut short by 9/11.

The only difference I recall was like TwoBit said, we had 3hr SI's between dives and didn't move as often. They also aren't as inclined to cancel. That's probably due to wanting to accommodate the NOAA folks on board. We had a pretty rough ride out and the Fling and Spree didn't set out until the following day, but nobody cancelled the trip.

Back
Top Bottom