Long Deco's - How do you pass the time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In warm, calm water... I sleep.

In cold, rough water... I do short dives.

Food: Clif Bar's and Gel Shots
Entertainment: Meditation. Getting an mp3 player for podcasts has been something I've tooled around with for awhile though.

Food: Clif Bar's and Gel Shots
Entertainment: Meditation. Getting an mp3 player for podcasts has been something I've tooled around with for awhile though.

This iPod is depth-rated to like 250ft. No moving parts, no seals...I think it's pretty cool. Only negative I've heard about it is the earphones are rough.

Yeah, a buddy would carry paperback books with him....but tear them into "readable" sections. My usual deco of 30-45minutes is getting very annoying, I can't imagine what "really long" decos would be like.

We used to do this with long decos at Diepolder and Eagles Nest,but the paper is too flimsy and start to fall apart. We would get National Geographics at yard sales because of the think glossy paper that would hold up to a 90 min deco

---------- Post added June 27th, 2015 at 01:47 PM ----------

You can stumble across the older Iriver underwater MP3 players pretty cheap, and for this older type MP3 player it ill hold more than enough to get you through long decos. I would put Car Talk and Wait Wait on for a good laugh, although a chuckle will cost you $$$ in cubic feet of 50/50 or O2.

Aqua flood does an aftermarket conversion of the tiny iPod (nano?), making it waterproof to, they claim 200' I believe. I have one and use it occasionally but i leave it at the O2 bottle drop and pick it up on return. "Dark Side Of The Moon" is my preferred deco music, but Kelly's suggestion of podcasts has me intrigued.

Usually though, it's just "zoning out" as someone else mentioned earlier.

I would just like to do non-blue water decos. Maintaining proper depth is enough of a task to keep me out of good zoning-out-land, and clipping off to a line is usually way too jerky to be comfortable. I would kill for some rocks to stack...

-Chris

I would just like to do non-blue water decos. Maintaining proper depth is enough of a task to keep me out of good zoning-out-land, and clipping off to a line is usually way too jerky to be comfortable. I would kill for some rocks to stack...

-Chris
You could use a Jon line.

Whether you're also doing really long dives, or just really good at entertaining yourself, what do you do to amuse yourself?

We open-circuit guys are already out of the water and hitting on your girlfriends. "Wow! If you were my girlfriend, I would have spent $12,000 on you instead of some stupid rebreather."

Seriously, though, I think the most useful thing I found for you extreme exposure types are water proof playing cards. You can play poker or work on your street magic ... or would that be deco magic?

da11-1.jpg

BF1_BB3_FF_EB5_F_403_C_94_DD_34_E85_E57498_B.jpg

3hrs @ 20ft still feels like 3hrs though.

mp3 player, video player, or shallow tablet in a bag. Mp3 player is my go-to choice since it always seems to work when needed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom