Long Deco's - How do you pass the time?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

tphelps

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Aloha everyone,

My buddy and I routinely do 3 hour closed circuit dives on our Prisms, usually we are pretty well entertained scootering along during deco. On Saturday we did our first 4 hour dive and because our scooters have a burn time of about 2.5 hours, we had to sit around for quite awhile.

We were in a 20' rubble patch so I found myself stacking flat-ish rocks, taking awkward selfies with my camera, drinking water through my hydration pack, slurping on squeezable applesauce and as a science diver...practice spelling the scientific names of fish.

Whether you're also doing really long dives, or just really good at entertaining yourself, what do you do to amuse yourself? Specifically to the other extreme exposure divers, what are some things you eat during deco? The applesauce was just sitting in my pantry, I have another buddy that eats bananas on deco. I'm wanting to play around with those gel packets that athletes use during triathlons. Thoughts on these?

Mahalo!

TP

Sometimes I stack rocks on liteheddeds tanks and steal his camelbak ninja style.

Sometimes I just stare at the bikinifish......

Underwater MP3 player on my 50/50 bottle, and listen to podcasts at 70' to the surface

Aloha everyone,

My buddy and I routinely do 3 hour closed circuit dives on our Prisms, usually we are pretty well entertained scootering along during deco. On Saturday we did our first 4 hour dive and because our scooters have a burn time of about 2.5 hours, we had to sit around for quite awhile.

We were in a 20' rubble patch so I found myself stacking flat-ish rocks, taking awkward selfies with my camera, drinking water through my hydration pack, slurping on squeezable applesauce and as a science diver...practice spelling the scientific names of fish.

Whether you're also doing really long dives, or just really good at entertaining yourself, what do you do to amuse yourself? Specifically to the other extreme exposure divers, what are some things you eat during deco? The applesauce was just sitting in my pantry, I have another buddy that eats bananas on deco. I'm wanting to play around with those gel packets that athletes use during triathlons. Thoughts on these?

Mahalo!

TP

Well, if you spearfish during the dive, and keep the speared fish with you during deco, there is a high likelihood you will NOT be bored during deco--you might even have your hands full.:D

Reactions: RJP
Too cold up here for those durations, but I knew some guys that used to carry a pocket book with them. It gotta kinda wet, and was really only a one-shot kinda thing...

I've had more than a few dives where there was a certain amount of "full contact deco" going on. I can't endorse this practice, but it has made use of everything from rocks to sex toys...

Too cold up here for those durations, but I knew some guys that used to carry a pocket book with them. It gotta kinda wet, and was really only a one-shot kinda thing...

I've had more than a few dives where there was a certain amount of "full contact deco" going on. I can't endorse this practice, but it has made use of everything from rocks to sex toys...

Yeah, a buddy would carry paperback books with him....but tear them into "readable" sections. My usual deco of 30-45minutes is getting very annoying, I can't imagine what "really long" decos would be like.

Aloha everyone,

Mahalo!

TP

Honestly, if my hang time is more then 1/2 of the dive and there's nothing interesting to see, I would probably make a shorter dive. I also dive OC so my dives are rarely longer than about 90 minutes anyway.

That said, if there were something very compelling to see (read: the wreck of my dreams) then all of these principles would go right out the window :D

R..

Yeah, a buddy would carry paperback books with him....but tear them into "readable" sections. My usual deco of 30-45minutes is getting very annoying, I can't imagine what "really long" decos would be like.

Exactly. I'm considering changing my profile so that I do the deco at the beginning of the dive when I'm warmer and don't have to pee so badly. I don't know why everyone doesn't do this. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/
http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom