Logs - Do you or don't you?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I for one am pretty strict about maintaining an accurate log book.

I got out of the habit of logging them on paper and then when I was uploading my dives into my PC I found it hard to remember the sites, etc... so now I just write in the pertinent info like the date, site name, weight, starting & ending pressures and most importantly dive buddy!

I have been on trips where they have wanted to see an updated log book to assess your abilities. As a DM who has taken divers from out of town on dives it is always nice to review their log book to make sure they have the experience to competently complete the dive - I will always extend the same courtesy to others when unfamiliar with the sites.

My current diving and my foreseeable future diving breaks down like:

3mil full suit fresh water
7mil full suit fresh water
7mil farmer john fresh water
drysuit fresh water

3mil full suit salt water
7mil full suit salt water
drysuit salt water

If nothing else, the log will let me track my equipment configurations for future dive planning and travel.

I am one that logged dilligently for the first thousand or so, and now only log certain types of dives that are requred for further ratings (tec etc). Even as a full time instructor I was keeping a logbook of diveprofiles and student names etc. I got about a weeks worth to a page.

I'm not a very loggy guy. I have a computer that I download every month or so, and I also write about any dives I do and post it in the Florida Conch Divers Forum. I don't know if either one or both of those count as logging dives. I suppose I could build a log out of the data. But other then that, I have never ever- not even once written anything except my signature and ID # in a log book. I'm just not into that kind of thing.

I log teaching dives and any others tha I feel the need to log.

I guess I am what is known as an anal logger..... (Ewww that didn't sound right)

I log my dives for the day in a written book, have my buddy sign it ect. Then I download them off my dive computer, and in that log write a very long detailed description of the dive, what was good, what was bad. What I learned. If the dive is of intrest I print the dive profile out and keep it as a record in my log written log book.

Doing this also helps me track gas consumption, weighting, equipment usage.

It seems like as the "novelty" wares off we get a little less adament about log books. Side questions could be:

When did you stop logging dives?
How many dives do you “estimate” you have?
How many can you “prove” w/log books?

For me it would be
Stopped after about number 300.
Estimate +2000
Prove about 600

Log dives, what is that???? I really should start though, keep forgetting good dive sites...........

As a quick question.....cause I can't remember why.....why do you have someone else sign you logged dive?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom