Logging direction when diving?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That looks really awesome. I would love one of those one day, but it's hard to justify spending +700€ for something that will only be strapped at torso (or similar), not being used as a dive computer.
But thanks for giving the first real answer to my question :)

I've a suspicion by the time you've figured out how to hook up that data logger and overlay its reading on the footage, the cost won't be too far from 700€. However as I recall from reading their manuals, it's not clear if they actually log the readings (there's an app to show them in the process but no fine detail is provided). i THINK @kelemvor has one of them, he might know.

I am surprised no one has made some kinda gps/ gyro compass/ g meter to log underwater tracking,,, I assume if you have beginning and end GPS coordinates to place it on a map,
Then calculate movement and a gyro compass, plus time, you should be able to map your underwater movements with a relatively accurately,,,
Possibly every now and then, in a current you might have to hang on to something and stand still for more accuracy....
I am not smart enough to make something like that but I think it should be doable....

I've a suspicion by the time you've figured out how to hook up that data logger and overlay its reading on the footage, the cost won't be too far from 700€. However as I recall from reading their manuals, it's not clear if they actually log the readings (there's an app to show them in the process but no fine detail is provided). i THINK @kelemvor has one of them, he might know.
That's very possible. :p
Although, I have already figured some stuff out. For instance the line that tracks the dive profile is all custom programming (video) :)
I never touch a video editor when I make my videos. It's all done using ffmpeg in a script that I wrote.. </gloat>

I am surprised no one has made some kinda gps/ gyro compass/ g meter to log underwater tracking,,, I assume if you have beginning and end GPS coordinates to place it on a map,
Then calculate movement and a gyro compass, plus time, you should be able to map your underwater movements with a relatively accurately,,,
Possibly every now and then, in a current you might have to hang on to something and stand still for more accuracy....
I am not smart enough to make something like that but I think it should be doable....
Me too! The paralenz really should at least incorporate a compass.

Currents are hard. I did a night dive the other night: I swam out in front of the entry point, dropped to the bottom of the reef and made a zig-zag way up... I came up in the next cove to the South and I didn't feel any current at all on either zigs or zags.

IMU will have the same problem and you'll need a fancy algorithm to retrofit your track to star & end GPS coordinates... could be an interesting project.

Currents are hard. I did a night dive the other night: I swam out in front of the entry point, dropped to the bottom of the reef and made a zig-zag way up... I came up in the next cove to the South and I didn't feel any current at all on either zigs or zags.

IMU will have the same problem and you'll need a fancy algorithm to retrofit your track to star & end GPS coordinates... could be an interesting project.
Sure positioning is probably too difficult. But at least give us a compass...

Closest thing I can think of is the computer system that Suex offers for there DPV's

That's very possible. :p
Although, I have already figured some stuff out. For instance the line that tracks the dive profile is all custom programming (video) :)
I never touch a video editor when I make my videos. It's all done using ffmpeg in a script that I wrote.. </gloat>

As I said earlier closest thing is the Suex computer for there DPV's. I have never used one but it pretty much maps your dive and you can overlay it on a map/satellite image. DRIVe - Suex

And also as I mentioned be for the old school manual way would be to use a Mnemo. But this requires a line however it is very accurate. I have used these for cave mapping and its super easy and the software is nice, allows you to upload and overlay it to google maps

Try Seacraft ENC navigation:
Woow. Now that is something!!

Try Seacraft ENC navigation:
Hmmm,,
Might need that, after I finished my project,
20190201_103442.jpg

Back
Top Bottom