Log Book question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

grazie42:
Like others have said, how hard would it be to forge a logbook?!

Now I'm not a DM or run any diveops but...

It's not hard to write down a bunch of crap into paper thingy (yes, that's the technical name) but while you still can manually input dives into SDM or something, its a pretty complicated process and not worth the trouble, especially if they display the readouts of every 10 seconds of a fifty minute dive. Thus I'd think that unsigned Dive Manager printouts would be considered legit. But again, I'm not someone who is responsible for checking someone's dive credentials (except my buddy).

-Pols

I had someone ask for my qualification record book once, didnt want to see log book.
Somewhere else they wanted logbook not my QRB.
Elsewhere nothing at all.

It varies hugely.

Basically, most times..You will be taking people at their word for their credentials. Particularly when travelling..Log book or not..That is why they have orientation dives and Divemasters or guides. It is a good thing to always have Your log regardless..You don't want the pilot of a plane forgetting the amount of hours he has flying. Take pride in Your life spent under the sea..Log Your Hours..

armyscuba:
You don't want the pilot of a plane forgetting the amount of hours he has flying.
This is the main reason I still log my dives. As a pilot I know how important those logged hours are so I just cary it over to my diving...

James

getwet2:
The number might not mean much but did you actually look in the Log book and read what TYPE of diving he'd been doing or did he just tell you he had 150 logged? I've come across the same type of people when diving, one guy had only done fresh water lake & ice diving, this was his first open ocean experience and he ended up puking too. There's more to a log book than just the number of dives you have done. Like I said, it becomes evident once in the water what type of diver you are.

He did have enough experience to call the dive off though, so he has to get some credit.

Well, I believe we are talking about the same man :wink: . Most of his dives were done in Germany, some under the ice, so I thought open water will be a kid's game for him (I've never done ice diving so I think that people who are diving under the ice are some kind of Nordic semi-gods). It turned out this one wasn't.

armyscuba:
Take pride in Your life spent under the sea..Log Your Hours..
Very well said!

Yes I agree - very well said. However what I'm really trying to ask is what kind of log is acceptable! I do log my dives - only these days I do it from the Vyper - adding in notes and other stuff through the software - so I don't end up with a countersignature (buddy's/DM's/Instructors) on the printout! So the question here is - Is this kind of a logbook officially acceptable?

KimLeece:
So the question here is - Is this kind of a logbook officially acceptable?
Officially acceptable?

Acceptable to whom? What do you mean by "officially"? To the best of my knowledge there's no international law or agreement requiring you even to have a logbook. If such request does not exist, then there are no rules for "officially acceptable" logbook.

Couldn't you sign it instead of your buddies? Would a dive master / shop owner call you buddies to verify their signature?

If you are lying, you are basically laying to yourself.

Nobody can answer your question.

svidlano:
Officially acceptable?

Acceptable to whom? What do you mean by "officially"? To the best of my knowledge there's no international law or agreement requiring you even to have a logbook. If such request does not exist, then there are no rules for "officially acceptable" logbook.

Couldn't you sign it instead of your buddies? Would a dive master / shop owner call you buddies to verify their signature?

If you are lying, you are basically laying to yourself.

Nobody can answer your question.
Well maybe I phrased it slightly wrong - I don't know! What I meant was - If I want to do some training or dive a difficult site (within my current training) that requires a minimum number of logged dives or certification (as many do!) - then I have my cert cards ok - but when someone demands a logbook as well - what is acceptable? (Several people have given some answer to this so far - I'm just trying to keep it ontrack!!) That nobody can answer the question is not true!! There are a lot of instructors and dive operators at all levels on ScubaBoard and I was hoping to find out what some of them consider adequate proof of experience (OK maybe not official) as far as a logbook goes.

p.s. I also realise that many would take such a logbook with a grain of sand and want to actually see you in the water !!)

What I meant when I said "nobody" is:

Nobody can give you a universal answer. Dive operator "one" might say "Suunto printout is OK". Dive operator "two" might ask for a signed logbook. Dive operator "three" might ask for signed logbook with some additional proof. And each and every one is right.

One thing is certain. The ocean will ask neither for cert card nor for logbook.

Back
Top Bottom