Log Book question.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

glbirch:
When I can take my PDA diving and have it log all the Data real time, that would be convenience.
That's exactly what my Vyper does! :eyebrow: (I thought loads of people had Personal Diving Accessories!)

KimLeece:
That's exactly what my Vyper does! :eyebrow: (I thought loads of people had Personal Diving Accessories!)

Actually Kim..I can be a Personal Diving Assistant in some cases.. :cyborg:

KimLeece:

Sadly though, the Vyper won't e-mail my wife in mid dive and remind her to pick up my other dry suit from the store. :D

I just bought a Mosquito and I was wondering, if I transfer all of my dives to the software, how will that affect my further training? Doesn't all of your traing have to be in a log book also showing your other dives?
FYI, I'm a PADI OW diver, will be taking AWO in July and hope to dive master by next year.

Nay:
I just bought a Mosquito and I was wondering, if I transfer all of my dives to the software, how will that affect my further training? Doesn't all of your traing have to be in a log book also showing your other dives?
FYI, I'm a PADI OW diver, will be taking AWO in July and hope to dive master by next year.

The important thing is to keep records..Use Your log book for Your first One hundred dives..then put it on the shelf..Put everthing else on Your lap top or Home PC with the ability to print records. That's not to say if Your committed..Use a Log Book for every dive..

Like others have said, how hard would it be to forge a logbook?!
When diveops have asked for my experience they´ve asked for cert, number of dives and when I did my last dive. If they don´t take my word for it there´s really no point in them asking for my logbook either...
There´s an element of trust in diving just like everywhere else, either you have someones trust or you don´t, to me there´s no middle ground.

I keep a log for my own sake and will sometimes ask buddies to sign it (as a sort of memento), keeping it for any other reason seems foolish to me...

KimLeece:
Hi -
I've noticed in quite a few threads references to log books being checked at many sites. I've actually never been to site where I was asked for my logbook - but I suppose it might happen sometime! What I'm curious about is wether the printout from a computer logbook (Suunto Dive Manager) would be considered an acceptable log book. Since I got my Vyper I haven't really kept a handwritten log anymore - I transfered all the dives from my original log books into the software and now keep a log folder which holds all the dives. It occurs to me though that dives from my Vyper haven't been buddy countersigned so I wonder how picky people could get - or would this be considered adequate (the printouts include graphs of the profiles and tissue compartments + all the normal stuff - including the buddy's name)
I take my log book with me on all my dives and have my buddy sign it after the dive. I also write about the dive in it during the surface interval and at the end I get the dive shop to put their stamp on it. That's about as official as I can think to make it. It might sound like a lot of hassle but I also consider it a sort of souvenier of my trips. When I get home I download my wrist computer to the desktop computer and record the dive to the harddrive. I was acutally asked once in the Dominican Republic to see it, when I was talking to the instructor about it he said that it's going to become more important in the future to have your dives logged properly as proof.

I don't see any reason to lie about a log book because once a person gets in the water the truth will probably become evident very soon as to what type of diver they are. I also take what people say on the boat about their diving abilities with a grain of salt, sort of I'll wait and see for myself type of person.

getwet2:
I don't see any reason to lie about a log book because once a person gets in the water the truth will probably become evident very soon as to what type of diver they are. I also take what people say on the boat about their diving abilities with a grain of salt, sort of I'll wait and see for myself type of person.

I was once buddied with a gentleman who had 150+ logged dives (I had around 30 back then). He had all the nice and shiny equipment, two first stages, BP/wings, ....

Since the day was very hot all the people on the boat dropped their BCs into the water and put them on while swimming. My buddy had a lot of difficulties getting his gear on, I tried to help him, he started to ask for his reg, and finally aborted a dive. After getting on the boat he started to puke. He was completely scared out.

Is there anything more to say? We ware in 15ft of water, small waves (few inches), sun was shining, everything was great.

So number of logged dives does not mean that much.

svidlano:
I was once buddied with a gentleman who had 150+ logged dives (I had around 30 back then). He had all the nice and shiny equipment, two first stages, BP/wings, ....

Since the day was very hot all the people on the boat dropped their BCs into the water and put them on while swimming. My buddy had a lot of difficulties getting his gear on, I tried to help him, he started to ask for his reg, and finally aborted a dive. After getting on the boat he started to puke. He was completely scared out.

Is there anything more to say? We ware in 15ft of water, small waves (few inches), sun was shining, everything was great.

So number of logged dives does not mean that much.
The number might not mean much but did you actually look in the Log book and read what TYPE of diving he'd been doing or did he just tell you he had 150 logged? I've come across the same type of people when diving, one guy had only done fresh water lake & ice diving, this was his first open ocean experience and he ended up puking too. There's more to a log book than just the number of dives you have done. Like I said, it becomes evident once in the water what type of diver you are.

He did have enough experience to call the dive off though, so he has to get some credit.

glbirch:
Sadly though, the Vyper won't e-mail my wife in mid dive and remind her to pick up my other dry suit from the store. :D
On the bright side, your wife can't email you mid-dive and tell your to get you $$$ home now!

Back
Top Bottom