log book checks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquanauts Pattaya:
I fail to see how this is a "misinterpretation" of the standards. OW is 65 feet. If you have been diving to 80 feet, you've been breaking standards, as have the ops who let you do this. As we say in Thailand, Som Nam Na - you should have known better. Tough luck. You want to dive to 80 feet at a PADI dive center? Get an AOW cert. It's that simple.

I’m sorry if you are taking this wrong. I could careless how you or your operation interprets PADI’s purposely vague explanation of the standards.
All I ask and would ask of your operation is to tell me when I book what standard you are applying BEFORE I get out, trapped on your boat. (Or learn the hard way how to swim back to shore.:wink: )

Dave

I witnessed a group of 4 SSI Instructors who were asked to produce logbooks for a Cenote dive near Puerto Adventuras. When none of them could produce a logbook, they were forced to be evaluated by a local DM in the swimming pool.

They were allowed to proceed to Dos Ojos.

sarita75:
I've found that taping my card to the inside of my reg bag is a good bet, or inside of a gearbox (with spare o-rings, etc). When I go on a dive, since I still am a pretty avid logger of all dives, I have a plastic bag inside which I put my c-card and my DAN membership cards. All snug in one bag. Oh, and I have a scanned copy of both (c card and DAN card) at home which I can access remotely if needed.
That's actually a darn good idea. For $35 I can buy a second ("replacement") C-card from PADI that I could then just leave in the reg bag, and not really have to worry about the issue again, should I ever lose my wallet just before a trip, leave it back at the hotel, etc. Thanks!

(I too have my cert card scanned and in a secure location on my website so I can pull it down from anywhere in the world... great minds!)

I used to run competitively, and I kept a log of all the training and races I did. I got so sick of keeping a training log, that I won't keep a dive log. My dive computer keeps track of my dives, but it requires an extraordinarily expensive cable (which it did not come with!) to attach to my pc.

So that is why I do not keep a dive log. Besides, it hurts my hand carving all those letters into the bark.

Aquanauts Pattaya:
I fail to see how this is a "misinterpretation" of the standards. OW is 65 feet. If you have been diving to 80 feet, you've been breaking standards, as have the ops who let you do this. As we say in Thailand, Som Nam Na - you should have known better. Tough luck. You want to dive to 80 feet at a PADI dive center? Get an AOW cert. It's that simple.

"Standards" are for dive professionals and dive shops. An OW diver on a dive trip cannot "break standards." And the recommended depths are based on "training and experience" and although it may not be financially rewarding for you, as a dive shop, to admit that there are other ways to acquire experience than by doing another PADI course, there are. And PADI dive shops and professionals all over the world are assisting OW divers in gaining experience in other ways than training. Heck, I even took a recently certified OW diver on a night dive with me. Did I make her do the course first? No. Do I think she might do it in the future? Sure. Does she now have a bit of night diving "experience"? Absolutely.

While the diver in question had the documentation to show that he had the requisite experience to do the dive... and while it is your perogative as a shop to deny him access to sites based on some standard that YOU apply, don't you think you should have been clearer with him from the outset? Did you not have him sign a waiver, and ask about his experience level prior to putting him on a boat? I mean, you wouldn't send him on the boat without having seen his c-card, would you? And once you had, wouldn't that be the right time to say "uh, buddy, you can't do this dive."

kari

Karibelle:
"Standards" are for dive professionals and dive shops. An OW diver on a dive trip cannot "break standards." And the recommended depths are based on "training and experience" and although it may not be financially rewarding for you, as a dive shop, to admit that there are other ways to acquire experience than by doing another PADI course, there are. And PADI dive shops and professionals all over the world are assisting OW divers in gaining experience in other ways than training. Heck, I even took a recently certified OW diver on a night dive with me. Did I make her do the course first? No. Do I think she might do it in the future? Sure. Does she now have a bit of night diving "experience"? Absolutely.

While the diver in question had the documentation to show that he had the requisite experience to do the dive... and while it is your perogative as a shop to deny him access to sites based on some standard that YOU apply, don't you think you should have been clearer with him from the outset? Did you not have him sign a waiver, and ask about his experience level prior to putting him on a boat? I mean, you wouldn't send him on the boat without having seen his c-card, would you? And once you had, wouldn't that be the right time to say "uh, buddy, you can't do this dive."

kari

That’s exactly what I was trying to convey to him. Thank you for clearly stating it.:D

Dave

Clayjar -- We deal with NAUI (and other agency) divers as we would PADI:. Ask for a c-card. In the case of NAUI, etc., however, we cannot check their certs online. We'd then want a logbook with a training record with signed & stamped instructor records showing completion of OW or AOW-equivalent courses.

SparticleBrane -- Your NAUI Nitrox card woudl be accepted, as it does show OW Certified. Plus, you can't get a nitrox card w/o at least Open Water anyway.

Karibelle -- I'm a little lost, as you are referring to a "he" as if we had a customer we'd denied diving to. I was using a hypothetical there. But as far as I understand your post, we never let anyone on the boat unless we know what their certification level & experience is. So we'd never have a case where we'd have people pay, go on the boat and then tell them they can't dive. We clear that up in the office the day before.

In all the years I have dived I have never been asked for a log book and in fact rarely for a C card except some Florida parks and some dive shops will ask for a card. This is a good thing because I have never kept a logbook. Diving is not regulated by the government such as is aviation. There is no Federal Administration of Scuba Diving, I in fact don't have to have anything to dive but as a practical matter of course one needs a C card. Battle scared Jet Fins tell me more about a diver than a stack of merit badges.

N

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom