log book checks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CompuDude:
In Laguna (Orange County, south of L.A.), there is a city ordinance that states you must dive with a buddy and you must carry a snorkel. It come to be interpreted that it does not have to be attached to your mask, thank goodness, but you do have to have one on your person. If a lifeguard sees you without one they can and will issue you a ticket. (Ditto for buddies, although I hear teams of 3 are ok).

That's pretty amazing. Although I will say this - I have only dove once or twice without a snorkel and - perhaps it is my training or that I do a lot of shore dives, but I would go without one. Not worth not having it in case of a surface swim.

sarita75:
That's pretty amazing. Although I will say this - I have only dove once or twice without a snorkel and - perhaps it is my training or that I do a lot of shore dives, but I would go without one. Not worth not having it in case of a surface swim.
For those of us who dive with a long hose configuration, snorkels are downright dangerous. They interfere with deploying your reg for sharing air.

I have a pocket snorkel I bring along on the extremely rare occasions I dive in Laguna. It then lives in my pocket so I can show it if approached.

For surface swims, most times I am laying on my back, face up. Snorkels work poorly in that position anyway. (Ignore my avatar... he lies!)

Just a little Help, in cases if C-Card is lost, I was told by my LDS that for PADI, they can look you up online and verfiy your information.

Hope it would save someone's dive trip, would hate to see my dive trip ruin coz I can't produce my C-Card

Harshal:
Just a little Help, in cases if C-Card is lost, I was told by my LDS that for PADI, they can look you up online and verfiy your information.

Hope it would save someone's dive trip, would hate to see my dive trip ruin coz I can't produce my C-Card
As long as you are somewhere with ready internet access, yes. Boats and other places frequently don't have that. At Sandals in Jamaica, my first trip when I couldn't find my c card, they wouldn't look it up for me, I had to call PADI (internationally) and have them fax proof directly to the office.

I've found that taping my card to the inside of my reg bag is a good bet, or inside of a gearbox (with spare o-rings, etc). When I go on a dive, since I still am a pretty avid logger of all dives, I have a plastic bag inside which I put my c-card and my DAN membership cards. All snug in one bag. Oh, and I have a scanned copy of both (c card and DAN card) at home which I can access remotely if needed.

Teamcasa:
After someone fishes him back on-deck, he tells me its company policy. I’m now standing at the Dive Op’s counter asking for my money back and upset I was denied diving by a mis-interruption of PADI’s certification limits and why did I bring my logbook is it did not get considered?

I fail to see how this is a "misinterpretation" of the standards. OW is 65 feet. If you have been diving to 80 feet, you've been breaking standards, as have the ops who let you do this. As we say in Thailand, Som Nam Na - you should have known better. Tough luck. You want to dive to 80 feet at a PADI dive center? Get an AOW cert. It's that simple.

I am curious. How do you deal with non-PADI divers? There isn't a 1:1 correlation between, say, NAUI and PADI standards, and from what I have read, it seems there is even less of a correlation between other agencies (or clubs) and PADI.

Other than the 130' demarcation between recreational and technical diving, the only limit that was presented to us was phrased basically as diving in the conditions in which you were trained. I have some friends who are NAUI Scuba Diver certified. After they finished their checkout dives, they went to Cozumel and dove with their instructors on an LDS trip, with dives eventually down as far as 95 feet. That is now their level of training and experience, is it not?

What would you do for someone like me? I don't even have a NAUI open water card. I took OW and Nitrox at the same time, so I have a NAUI Nitrox card that says "Open Water Certified" on the back.

I am really curious about this whole discussion of depth and cert level. I have never heard it - and have never been banned from diving because of the depth of the dive, although it was announced that the site constitutes a "deep dive" (75+ feet possible depth). I am going to have a look through my logbook now .... see what depths I've done.

Would these same standards apply for a non-PADI dive (I'm SSI) at a PADI facility?

Aquanauts Pattaya:
I fail to see how this is a "misinterpretation" of the standards. OW is 65 feet. If you have been diving to 80 feet, you've been breaking standards, as have the ops who let you do this. As we say in Thailand, Som Nam Na - you should have known better. Tough luck. You want to dive to 80 feet at a PADI dive center? Get an AOW cert. It's that simple.

I don't have an AOW cert... if I get a GUE Tech1 card will they take that instead?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom