log book checks?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Aquanauts Pattaya:
I fail to see how this is a "misinterpretation" of the standards. OW is 65 feet. If you have been diving to 80 feet, you've been breaking standards, as have the ops who let you do this.

Sorry, but as Kari mentioned, this is not true. Standards apply to classes and to classes only.

A little mediation about a few comments getting hot under the collar here...
PADI standards RE depth are aplied at the discression of the PADI dive center out side of courses. They make a pretty good guide line as they can help (or hinder) in a liability court case in the case of an accident.
Th state ment about only PADI AOW is incorrect, the GUE tech card wold almost certainly be equivalent or supercede a PADI AOW and as for the nitrox it generaly is taken up by advanced divers but an open water ticket with nitrox is actually still an open water ticket. Where I work ( as a PADI instructor) state law overrides PADI saying a diver must show a log book with 20 dives before doing a nitrox course, many have done their AOW by then or are considering it anyway.
More on that in a moment...
The guy who posted that PADI's depth limits are unclear wasn't paying attention in his OW class. Knowledge review for modual 5 spends half the questions explaining continuing education and depth limits. By this time in a course many classes are impatient with the "video, knowledge review, quiz" process (in this case exam) perhaps yours was rushed. Regardless of wether depth limits are enforced for certified Divers, the PADI standards on this matter are part of your evaluation, perhaps a refresher is in order.
Our Dive op dives a government controlled arificial reef, on this site it is LAW to stick to certain depths for certain experience levels, on our other sites...its a good idea to protect your liability insurance.
FINALLY, this thread is about presenting log books. Not demanded very often ( I wrote on a previous post about the declaration on the liabilty being a legal, signed document) but the NITROX laws in my state is an example of the fact that you might have to occassionaly.

Interestingly enough - I called about a trip at the end of the month going to Channel Islands of California. Just a daytrip but out to San Miguel Island which is one of the western (aka outermost) islands and notorious for more difficult and deeper dives. I am not AOW yet (have one more checkout dive [night]) have logged 26 dives, 9 of which were in the Channel Islands but in the 'closer to land' islands of Santa Cruz and Anacapa.

As a result of this strand of conversation, I asked whether I would be restricted from any dives. The answer was that "the diver has the discretion as to what dive s/he makes or does not make." This was the same case when I went out in January. We did one "deep dive" (max depth on my computer was 92') - and there was no question whether or not a diver could do it - it was up to them. Granted by the time that we made this dive, we had been on board for 2 days and the crew knew strengths and weaknesses of divers. No demonstration of skill level (via log books) was required.

So, I wonder - are boat operators "licensed" in a sense by a certifying organization? Do some dive shops operate their own boating operations? I haven't seen this - but rather have seen dive shops charter a boat, which is very different.

No, boat captains have an appropriate USCG captains license and PadI has no say whatsoever in boat operations. Boat operations are legally defined and there are statutory laws and regulations regarding operations of vessals and PadI has no buisness here. Most dive boats operate independent of a retail dive store but are often booked through such retail stores but not always. Some retail stores may own their own boat but it's operation in US waters is governed by laws and not PadI.

The depth and type of dive should be left to the diver, if you don't feel comfortable then don't go or hire a dive master to help out and guide you.

N

The depth and type of dive should be left to the diver, if you don't feel comfortable then don't go or hire a dive master to hold your hand.

but that would keep life too simple.

Nemrod:
No, boat captains have an appropriate USCG captains license and PadI has no say whatsoever in boat operations. Boat operations are legally defined and there are statutory laws and regulations regarding operations of vessals and PadI has no buisness here. Most dive boats operate independent of a retail dive store but are often booked through such retail stores but not always. Some retail stores may own their own boat but it's operation in US waters is governed by laws and not PadI.

The depth and type of dive should be left to the diver, if you don't feel comfortable then don't go or hire a dive master to help out and guide you.

N

Thanks for the information N. Much appreciated. I am curious then, how some people have wound up on the boat only to be told they couldn't do the dive? I guess it all varies from place to place.

As for me - there is never any problem with me doing things I am not comfortable with. The problem is that I rarely feel uncomfortable doing something :)

Just because a captain is not a PadI certified anything does not mean he cannot or wil not tell you that you cannot dive. He is the master of the ship and he is the boss. If he decides your a hazard to his boat, the other divers, it's operation, it's crew or yourself he can tell you to not dive. N

Back
Top Bottom