Lodge Kura Hulanda shorediving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jesseapalmer

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Gonna be staying a week at the Lodge Kura Hulanda in late March-early April. Most likely going to use Ocean Encounters West but can anybody tell me if the shorediving in that area is worth it? OEW seems to have a nice all week shoredive package. Thanks ahead of time

Hi jesseapalmer,

The house reef, Playa Kalki or Alice in Wonderland, is a great dive. Both directions are good, we preferred to the right. Depths from about 40-80 feet were very good. This is the only shore diving we did on our visit to Lodge Kura Hulada late Nov-early Dec. We could easily have dived it several more times had we the time and opportunity. Though quite different in character, it rivals the quality of Bari Reef in Bonaire, another house dive we don't tire of.

We did the 2 tank AM dives with OEW each morning and also did a couple of the PM 1 tank dives when the site was good such as Watamula and Elvin's Plane Wreck.

We had a great time, hope you do too,

Craig

I second that ^. In a week of shorediving all over the west end, I thought Playa Kalki to the right was the best shore dive we did.

Other good dives within about 20mins or less: Playa Jeremi (not the best) Playa Lagun, Porto Mari, Nos Kas - Habitat's house reef and Varsenbaii. If you dive Playa Jeremi, you'll need to bring everything - all the others have an on site op for tanks/weights etc.

If you don't rent a car then OEW will get you to almost all the dives you would do from the shore (West end) and then some.
Alice and Wonderland can keep you busy for a week. Don't undersell a few dives to the left from the dock. Great stuff can be found there. It's fun to work the shallows as well. Night dives are easy and always entertaining.
You can also probably arrange a few dives from All West Apts. just up the road.

very good shorediving in that area, best area of Curacao to do it. On site shore dive is great.

Folks,

I can't thank you enough for the feedback. Hearing such good things is going to make the wait to leave unbearable. I also appreciate the feedback on a place to eat. We considered paying up for the all-inclusive package but think we can probably save more to spend on dives. Once again, thank you all for the advice!

Gratefully,

Jesse

Plaia Kalki is one of the best shore dives. Easy access, short swim, great reef. Also, probably it is close to the North tip of the island, you may see something you won't see elsewhere. Two weeks ago, this is the only site we saw sargassum triggerfish and large barracudas. Both directions to explore are good, but mind the currents.

Also, if you sign up with them, dive from the All West "inside diveshop" and explore to the South. Their reef does not look that great but it is packed with life. On one dive there, I counted 2 green and 5 gray morays. On another dive at night, I counted 6 clinging crabs. And they have resident lobsters under the little cliff right at the entrance.

We're planning a trip to Curacao in July and planning to stay at the Lodge Kura. We will complete our open water cert. in April this year. Wanted to know what's recommened for Diving in that part of the Island or will we have to travel to another part farther from the Lodge? First time to Curacao as well. Any and all helpful input/links are appreciated.

Thanks.

-James

Everything you need is right there. You can travel if you want, but there is really no need for that.

The on site shore diving is great. Plus, Bryan at Ocean Encounters West runs a greeat shop. You can hop on their boat and do your dives or shore dive on site.

Doesn't get any better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom