Location of drysuit dump valve

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

My wife dives the Fusion Fit and I dive the Fusion Bullet. We both have the shoulder dump and seem to have zero issues but then again neither of us are tiny ladies...LOL!!! I am 6'2" and my wife is 5'5". Our dive instructor who was doing our drysuit course taught us to trim out at about a 30° angle and to either cross our arms at the chest or hang our arms out in front of us and clasp our hands together. Then, when we want to dump gas we just, as he puts it, "Chicken wing" and cock our left shoulder upwards with the dump valve wide open and it vents off gas on it's own. I did end up backing off my valve about two clicks and found that I like that a bit better. During our check out dive this past Sunday I found that just a real quick "chicken wing" would dump off just enough gas to keep me neutral when were ascending along the bottom of the lake to the shallows. Good luck with your Fusion, I know that I am going to enjoy mine once I get my buoyancy dialed in better.

One question for you is...what are you wearing for a BC?

Lowdrag, thanks for sharing those tips from your instructor. I am in complete agreement that more practice is the answer but you also have to know WHAT to practice as well ; )

I am 5'1" and ended up getting the DSS small SS backplate and 6 lb bolt weight.

I am currently in the process of switching out my DSS Torus 35 lb wing to a Oxycheq 40 lb wing because I discovered the dimensions work better for me:
(18in wide x27in tall vs 14in wide x 24in tall)

... those few inches seem to make a huge difference in my ability to prevent the dreaded corking... again, probably a matter of better skills with practice but I figure anything that helps me to feel more relaxed and confident in the water is a good thing : )

I am still trying to tweak my harness at the moment as the D-rings feel like they are way out away from my chest and it makes it extremely awkward to clip off my primary 2nd without grapping my shoulder strap with my left hand and pulling it in towards my chest first...

... the devil is definitely in the details

---------- Post added June 12th, 2013 at 03:54 PM ----------

I know ladies, including my wife that really like the cuff dump and it is an adjustable valve just like on the shoulder. It does amplify the drysuit behavior of inadverdently dumping air.

In general I also dive with my shoulder valve wide open and seldom need to push the button for a forced dump.

Also, a suit can have multiple dumps. You can get them with auxilliary dumps in each calve in addition to the common shoulder or wrist. The vast majority however are single point exhaust.

Pete

Hi Pete,

Thanks, I feel better knowing I am not the ONLY dork diver ever to consider the wrist location - it really is a safety concern in my mind that I cannot physically reach my shoulder valve easily in the event of a runaway ascent... I am hoping that this will not be a regularly recurring part of my ascent practices ; )

I am also hoping that since it is an adjustable valve that it will be easy for me to close the dump a few clicks prior to any action that might require me to raise my wrist so I won't dump out air unneccesarily.

I do like the idea that when I am dumping, from the wrist I will be able to see the air.

I am also relieved to hear that if I do get tired of doing the things I mentioned that I will not have to buy another suit - I can just keep the wrist valve closed and install a shoulder valve instead.

thanks for all the good info :D

Don't over think it. If you can reach it you will adapt and dive safely.

Pete

The short video here: Apollo Sports: Dive Gear: Drysuits: Bio-Pro Drysuit
shows the bio-dry suit taking advantage of both wrist and foot valves as well as the shoulder
dump valve.

The wrist and foot valves can be clicked closed if the diver desires or the situation warrants.

I got a new Fusion recently, and I discovered a problem leaving the Apeks shoulder valve wide open. I had minor leakage on every dive, and when I contacted the shop that got it for me, I was told that Apeks valves are famous for leaking while left wide open. I was told to leave it only partly open. It worked.

Thanks for your advice and sharing the link to your thread. It looks like Peter_C's wife enjoys her wrist cuff!
I have difficulty reaching the shoulder valve on my White's Fusion. Although I have found a way to overcome it by just reaching with more effort. First of all my shoulder straps are not too tight on my BP/W. Secondly after I put my weight belt on I always reach for the stars and stretch side to side, making sure my undergarments and suit are offering the most amount of movement possible. For me being able to close my drysuit dump valve down is very important. I often shut it down a few clicks, but always close it at the surface before ditching my gear and climbing back into my boat.

It was me who had a cuff dump for a few hundred dives on what is now my backup suit, and it shines the most while scootering along and being able to easily dump air while ascending. I could go either way, but am perfectly happy with my shoulder dump.

Back
Top Bottom