Local Grinds - the chat thread

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Pizza:
Flat Bread in Paiea. Try the beef or chicken special.
Mateo's in Wailea. Try the one with potatoes.
Latin Flavor:
Enrique in South Kihei. Try the Chicken burrito.
Amigos in South Kihei. Try the Al Pastor Chimichanga
Palili (?) in Paiea. Try the seafood enchilada.
Thai:
Royal Thai(?) in South Kihei Azeka shopping center. Try the Laarb
Noodle:
Hanafuda in Kapalua and Kihei. Try the wonton Saimin.

Chinese and Vietnamese foods are pretty lame there. They have been bastardized to more Hawaiian taste.

Pizza:
Flat Bread in Paiea. Try the beef or chicken special.
Mateo's in Wailea. Try the one with potatoes.
Latin Flavor:
Enrique in South Kihei. Try the Chicken burrito.
Amigos in South Kihei. Try the Al Pastor Chimichanga
Palili (?) in Paiea. Try the seafood enchilada.
Thai:
Royal Thai(?) in South Kihei Azeka shopping center. Try the Laarb
Noodle:
Hanafuda in Kapalua and Kihei. Try the wonton Saimin.

Chinese and Vietnamese foods are pretty lame there. They have been bastardized to more Hawaiian taste.
A quick note:
Hana Fuda in Kihei is closed. Not sure about Kapalua.

Other things that this recent post reminded me of:
Polli's in Makawao is by far the most enjoyable (perhaps not authentic, though) Mexican food I've found on Maui.

As for Vietnamese, "A Saigon Cafe" in Wailuku is well-regarded.

I'm still looking for a good americanized-chinese food place, too.

Review from the LA Times 06 Apr '08:
Oahu
Maui

Bruddah's & Sistahs, your comments and da kine are mo' bettah appreciated:lotsalove:!

Oahu eating from a total tourist perspective...

North Shore:
Lulu's burritos, HUGE and delicious....in an RV on the side of the road coming into Waialua
Germaine's Shrimp was highly recommended, but we didn't have a chance to try it out
Coffee Gallery, nice local coffee shop, has locally grown coffee available

Waikiki Area:
We did not rent a car, so we were pretty confined to walking distance from our hotel. It is a mainstream area and we were not successful in finding local/hidden eateries.

Eat Ahi Poke anywhere you can! It is all different, but the same and SO delicious.
Roy's on Waikiki, designer food/fine dining...the ahi melts in your mouth
Shore Bird, you choose your meat/fish and grill it on a huge grill while overlooking the beach
Papa Beard, yummy pastry filled with creme, apparently popular in Japan
Yard House, lots and lots of beer to choose from and fancy versions of your favorite bar/comfort foods (it is a chain, but we don't have one near us)
Doraku Sushi, very good sushi with beautiful presentation, overlooks the main street

I think Roy's is overpriced myself. I appreciate his Pacific fusion sauces but there are better places for Ahi here, IMO. Nick's fishmarket or Blue Water grill.

We have a ROy's opening across the street from our loft in Pasadena on Colorodo Ave! Roy Yamaguchi was one of the first chefs to do fusion sauces.

Lucy's in Kailua....try the Kalua Pork Potstickers with mango sauce.

The Koa house in Kaneohe is great breakfast.

Another fav is to go to the Mandarin, valet park...get a cabana chair on the beach, order a sandwich (we split stuff) from the cabana boy, a drink, and then get your car check validated. Oh..it is the Kahala resort now. Cheap thrill at a 500 dollar/ night resort, he he.

Best sushi I've ever had on Oahu was at "Sushi Bistro Shun" at 1914 S King St. Parking can be tough but the sushi is well worth it as is watching the owner/sushi chef in action. And they have a good "izakaya" memu plus some other Japanese mainstays like shabu shabu.

Best sushi I've ever had on Oahu was at "Sushi Bistro Shun" at 1914 S King St. Parking can be tough but the sushi is well worth it as is watching the owner/sushi chef in action. And they have a good "izakaya" memu plus some other Japanese mainstays like shabu shabu.

If you want the best sushi in the world you must come to Okinawa, Japan. There is a sushi bar blocks from my home that I can walk to, that the sushi comes out on a conveyer belt and you just grab a plate. The plate must be read by a bar code reader as they just settle your bill at when you are full. The key to good sushi is the freshness. Okinawa is a maritime society for centuries and the fish is from the sea to your plate with in hours. If you want test your fate with blow fish you can do it here. Several days ago I spotted a Japanese fisherman that had a whole bag of blow fish. Come to Okinawa, and I will show you the awsome diving and take you to the top sushi spots.

"From birth, man carries the weight of gravity on his shoulders. He is bolted to earth. But man has only to sink beneath the surface and he is free."
- Jacques Yves Cousteau -

We had lunch at the coolest place today! It's called Brasserie Du Vin and can be found in China Town on Bethel. The atmosphere is fantastic! I would have sat there all day if I could have.

Back
Top Bottom