Local diver fatality - Dumaguete City, Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If it was a new diver than it would have been normal but a local diver dies during a dive is very shocking. If experienced people dies over diving than what would happen to beginners like us?. Diving is a very challenging hobby and now what i can see that there is nothing that we can do to stop accidents form occurring. If old and experienced divers die like this then there should be a law and experience limit which people should follow before diving.

If it was a new diver than it would have been normal but a local diver dies during a dive is very shocking. If experienced people dies over diving than what would happen to beginners like us?. Diving is a very challenging hobby and now what i can see that there is nothing that we can do to stop accidents form occurring. If old and experienced divers die like this then there should be a law and experience limit which people should follow before diving.
He died possibly because he broke basic rules, I am not sure laws would prevent him from breaking rules.

IMHO regulations should be added only when there is a benefit.

Diving is a very challenging hobby
I wouldn't refer to a potentially dangerous sport as a hobby. But it is a sport of risks that we train to manage safely.

now what i can see that there is nothing that we can do to stop accidents form occurring.
Oh yeah, there is plenty we do to stop accidents with the right training, the right equipment, and the right disciplines. Driving to the dive site can kill me if I don't know how, if my car is not kept safe, or if I don't obey safety rules. From the one news story as reported, it sounds like he pushed himself dangerously, and on top of that panicked instead of following safe training - but we can only speculate about his training.

Scuba Diver Dies After Dive Accident in Dumaguete - Negros Oriental

“Deadly Diving in Dumaguete City

Dive Accident – A scuba diver from Dumaguete City, was confirmed dead on November 8, 2020 at 8:50 am in Silliman University Medical Center. He experienced decompression sickness after his third dive last October 28, 2020. Lacking treatment on the island, and strict pandemic this led to a stage 4 coma and eventually, death.”

After their second dive, Jundril felt dizzy and was in pain. His companions discourage him to do the third dive. However, with no job, and a family to support, he still went for the third and last dive of the day.
3rd dive to 30m. Where he panicked in a strong current and inflated his bcd. Lost consciousness at he surface.

Followed by 10 days in the hospital before his body gave up. His profile was far from safe, but in a recompression chamber at least he would have had a chance.

Because of the fear for Covid, he never got that chance. Sad.

Dumaguete is remote but not that far from the hyperbaric chamber Cebu, all things considering. But if the ferry is not running and there is no air evac available, it may as well be on the moon.

3rd dive to 30m. Where he panicked in a strong current and inflated his bcd. Lost consciousness at he surface. Followed by 10 days in the hospital before his body gave up. His profile was far from safe, but in a recompression chamber at least he would have had a chance. Because of the fear for Covid, he never got that chance. Sad.

His family posted asking for help with his medical fees. So it wasn't just the Wuhan China virus it was also they did not have the funds to pay for treatment.

So he had no DAN insurance? Would that have helped?

This was not a pleasure dive, he was trying to make a living. I don’t think DAN applies.

Back
Top Bottom