Local diver fatality - Dumaguete City, Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps it was more than just decompression sickness, lung over-expansion trauma?

Very, very sad. Agreed, it could have easily been a combination of the two. It would be interesting to know if he rented a computer with his kit. It’s possible he blew through his deco obligation(s). Moreover, “pressing the button” to go up makes lung overexpansion entirely plausible.

“I panicked. The current got stronger at the bottom. I was afraid to be drifted away, so I pressed (the button) and I went up immediately.”

This was not a pleasure dive, he was trying to make a living. I don’t think DAN applies.
I was not aware that DAN cares whether you are diving for work or pleasure.

This looks to be the same tragedy discussed in a thread a couple of weeks ago Local diver fatality - Dumaguete City, Philippines

A truly awful story for the diver and the family left behind. It really highlights the consequences of inequality and disparate access to healthcare.

Last time I looked DAN isn’t available worldwide. I’m from the US but live abroad so I’m not eligible.
DAN is definitely available in the Asia-Pacific. To me it's affordable. To a Dumaguete local wondering where his family's next meal is coming from it may not be.

A truly awful story for the diver and the family left behind. It really highlights the consequences of inequality and disparate access to healthcare.

The article focuses on the inaccessibility to a hyperbaric decompression chamber. A chamber ride may or may not have helped. Unfortunately the story completely ignores the real possibility the diver was poorly trained, ill equipped and susceptible to panic. My apologies for being harsh.

DAN is definitely available in the Asia-Pacific. To me it's affordable. To a Dumaguete local wondering where his family's next meal is coming from it may not be.
DAN outside of US Ana Canada is thru some kind of affiliate

I have DAN World Membership: Mexico Prepared Diver. DAN World I think is also the program for Asia Pacific - they list Philippines. I cannot get DAN US coverage - limits are alot lower on my plan than DAN US plans but I assume this is due to health care costs in the US. This seems to be a moot point for the diver and family. During the loss of tourism here in Cozumel, DMs that I know that had any DAN Mexico plan dropped it when due for renewal.

This was not a pleasure dive, he was trying to make a living. I don’t think DAN applies.
From what I know of the local economy there I doubt he could afford DAN anyway.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom