Local diver fatality - Dumaguete City, Philippines

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Colonoscopy Advocate
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
Desperate diver, no chamber, pandemic restrictions...

Scuba Diver Dies After Dive Accident in Dumaguete - Negros Oriental
Dive Accident – A scuba diver from Dumaguete City, was confirmed dead on November 8, 2020 at 8:50 am in Silliman University Medical Center. He experienced decompression sickness after his third dive last October 28, 2020. Lacking treatment on the island, and strict pandemic this led to a stage 4 coma and eventually, death.

Deadly Diving in Dumaguete City
The scuba diver is identified as Jundril Suaring. He lives with his two sisters, Juvylou Suaring and Juannlith Suaring, with spearfishing and scuba diving as a livelihood. Even way before the pandemic, Jundril was already a spearfisher. It was about 3 years ago when he started working at Harold’s Dive Center Dumaguete. According to one of his sisters, he started working for the local dive-shop in 2016 or 2017. During the pandemic, he was temporarily unemployed. Thus, making him go back to his former livelihood as a spearfisher.

Through a Facebook post from the victim’s relative, an overview of the incident was explained.

On October 28, 2020, he and his co-spear fishers went to Santa Monica in Barangay Banilad of Dumaguete City. He rented scuba diving gears & diving tanks in the hopes of getting some income afterward. After their second dive, Jundril felt dizzy and was in pain. His companions discourage him to do the third dive. However, with no job, and a family to support, he still went for the third and last dive of the day.

According to the Facebook post, at around 30 meters deep, Jundril experienced a strong current. He panicked and pressed his inflator and went to the surface. Upon reaching the surface he lost his consciousness. His co-workers saw him and ascended carefully to help him. He was then rushed to the hospital. A few moments later, Jundril regained his consciousness and explained his point of view.

Na panic ko. Ni kusog ang solug sa lalom. Nahadlok ko maanod sa layo. Akong na pislitan. Na deretso kog saka sa taas”, he said after gaining back his conscious.

I panicked. The current got stronger at the bottom. I was afraid to be drifted away, so I pressed (the button) and I went up immediately.

In scuba diving, it is extremely dangerous to go straight up to the surface after being is depth under the sea. It is called many things such as Decompression sickness, DCS, bubbles, or the bends. This is caused by a buildup of nitrogen bubbles in the bloodstream and body tissues. With great pressure and depth, the nitrogen bubbles inside the body do not have enough time to go out. This causes fatigue, shortness of breath, and bruising or also known as decompression rash.

Pandemic and Dive Accident – Bad Timing!
Jundril was able to speak very little after reaching the hospital. After that, we fell asleep and hasn’t woken up. On October 31, 2020, the doctors announced that he was in a stage 4 coma. The only cure for decompression sickness is through a hyperbaric decompression chamber or a pressure chamber. With manipulated pressure, the nitrogen bubbles are slowly released. There is no such machine in the city nor the province. The closest operating pressure chamber available is on the next island of Cebu.

With the virus still on the rise and no vaccine available, it was difficult to transport the patient. Jundril lives with his two sisters. Their parents are already deceased. Being financially incapable of paying high and rising medical bills, they reached out to people for help.

(continued at the link)

This is such a tragic story. I have many close connections with many Filipino people and have been to Philippines three times and did some diving each time. The Filipino people are very kind and always happy even though many of them live in poverty or depend of overseas relatives to support them.

In the Philippines if you don’t have any money to pay for medical care you just suffer or die. He would have had a chance to survive this if he had money but sadly in many countries like the Philippines only “the rich” or well connected can get even the most basic or emergency medical care.

In the Philippines if you don’t have any money to pay for medical care you just suffer or die. He would have had a chance to survive this if he had money but sadly in many countries like the Philippines only “the rich” or well connected can get even the most basic or emergency medical care.
Philippines is NOT alone here, the country is just too poor to provide basic medical care for everyone!
Life is very cheap in this country!

This is all true but I wonder if he was properly trained or even certified.

Philippines is NOT alone here, the country is just too poor to provide basic medical care for everyone!
Life is very cheap in this country!

Please clarify “this country “.

This is all true but I wonder if he was properly trained or even certified.
It’s really hard to say. My ex gf got open water and advanced certifications in the Philippines and I felt she really didn’t earn it based on my observations diving with her. As long as you have money you can always find an instructor there to certify you even if you’re not ready.

In this case it appears he had a lot of experience diving but that doesn’t mean he had a good understanding of the physics of diving and the dangers of violating the dive tables ( for lack of a better term). It would be my guess he had done rapid ascents before but just got lucky.

It’s really hard to say. My ex gf got open water and advanced certifications in the Philippines and I felt she really didn’t earn it based on my observations diving with her. As long as you have money you can always find an instructor there to certify you even if you’re not ready.

In this case it appears he had a lot of experience diving but that doesn’t mean he had a good understanding of the physics of diving and the dangers of violating the dive tables ( for lack of a better term). It would be my guess he had done rapid ascents before but just got lucky.
Then again I wonder why an experienced diver would panic because of the current? If he knew the area, currents won't be anything new for him. I can guess his judgement was already affected by his condition after the 2nd dive, but the fact that he did go for the 3d dive while feeling not so good suggests what you said, poor understanding of physics etc.

Then again I wonder why an experienced diver would panic because of the current? If he knew the area, currents won't be anything new for him. I can guess his judgement was already affected by his condition after the 2nd dive, but the fact that he did go for the 3d dive while feeling not so good suggests what you said, poor understanding of physics etc.

From everything I’ve studied in my training it’s usually a series or errors that lead to tragic accidents. He definitely made some reckless decisions and ignored warning signs. Maybe he was even experiencing narcosis on his third dive which affected his judgment if he was violating his dive tables on the earlier dives and not allowing enough time in between dives to degas.

The article says he worked for a dive shop for some time.

We don’t have enough information. Being certified does not mean that you were taught properly or that you will follow the rules.

Maybe he was just reckless because he needed the money ?

This is really sad.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom