Lobsters & Lionfish Diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kozaman

New
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I am new here and am looking for a dive operator in Florida to take me and a buddy for a day lobster diving. (When is the season?) And after that we would like to hunt Lionfish.

I am assuming we would need to head to South Florida or the keys. Have any of you done this or know an operator? Is there any other spearfishing available in Florida waters? I believe it is illegal in the keys.

Any personal experience stories would help as we are looking for both a place and an operator to go with.

Thanks.

JEFF

Kozaman: most operators run pre-determined schedules in S. Florida. As an example only, here's Jupiter Dive Center's calendar. https://divecenters.scubaocity.com/...ear=2015&go=divecalendar&shop_id=23&setdate=1 I'll name a few additional boats below and you can check their calendars and websites.

Outside of the Keys, you can hunt lobster, lionfish and spearfish on almost any boat unless they are doing a very specific dive like going to see the Goliath Grouper aggregation or something like that. During the lobster season, I hunt lobster from Jupiter Dive Center's boat most of the time with the only exception being GG dives and shark dives. You'll need a salt water fishing license and a lobster endorsement. If you spearfish, you'll need to study FWC website to see what is in season and what is not and the limitations. I've seen FWC officers confront divers who have speared an undersized fish: its an expensive fine.

Another boat in Jupiter is Captain sl8er. I also know that Narcosis WPB is very friendly to spearo's and lobster guys. I've also lobster hunted with Jim Abernathy Scuba Adventure in WPB. Down in Pompano, I know that Pompano Dive Center and Scubatyme are friendly to lobster folks and spearo's. South Florida Dive HQ is lobster friendly, but I'm not sure about spearing.

There are places in the Keys that you can hunt and spear too: the location has to be outside the protected areas (SPA). I've lobster hunted with Conch Republic in Key Largo and Dive Duck Key in Marathon. You might be able to rent a six pack boat from a shop like Quiescence and have them take you to hunting grounds only.

Lobster season starts Aug 6 and runs to March

You just missed the best 2 days of the year for lionfish and lobster. I see more lionfish on these lobster dives than any other time of the year.

Lobster season starts in a couple of weeks. Get your fishing license and add lobster to it. Divers will be carrying all sorts of things onto the boats depending on what each diver wants to do. I tend to carry a snare or pole spear most of the year just in case I see lobster or a lionfish. You'll also learn which dive locations are best for either one as you become familiar. Just start diving and you'll figure it out.

Here's the state laws on lobster: Spiny Lobster - Panulirus argus

Browse around for other regulations. Good luck.

You can't beat Capt Sl8r for a top notch experience.

I see more lionfish on these lobster dives than any other time of the year.

So how did you do during mini-season MrChen: I did terrible. Didn't see all that many lobster and mostly pulled out egg bearing females and shorts. Only went out Thursday afternoon and ended up with a single stinking bug, though it was a pretty big one. Jupiter/Juno had a cold water upwelling and south bound current on Thursday and I froze my rear off in a 3MM (fortunately I just happened to have brought my 2MM vest but didn't have a hood with me). Some poor sap only had his bathing suit on: I can't imagine he enjoyed the diving all that much.

So how did you do during mini-season MrChen: I did terrible. Didn't see all that many lobster and mostly pulled out egg bearing females and shorts. Only went out Thursday afternoon and ended up with a single stinking bug, though it was a pretty big one. Jupiter/Juno had a cold water upwelling and south bound current on Thursday and I froze my rear off in a 3MM (fortunately I just happened to have brought my 2MM vest but didn't have a hood with me). Some poor sap only had his bathing suit on: I can't imagine he enjoyed the diving all that much.

I joined JDC on Wed at 12:30 for a 3 tank trip out of Jupiter. The first two dives were very active dives. I had a couple eggers and a few shorts. There were a few I just couldn't catch. The most important thing is, I had fun! Anyways, to the story, on the first dive I surfaced with 2 keepers. As I was climbing the ladder, my net caught in the ladder and pulled the net out of the rubber handle. I didn't see it, I just felt the handle smack me in the head. I left my snare in the car.

On the 2nd dive, my buddy had his tickle stick in his lobster hotel. On entry, it came out and he lost it. So at depth, he handed me his net knowing we only had one set of gear between the 2 of us. Again, shorts, eggs, a few I couldn't catch, and I surfaced with 2 again. If I could have caught and kept each one, I'd have easily reached my limit.

On the 3rd dive, we only saw 2 lobster. I caught the first one, it was a short. I handed the gear to my buddy and he caught a keeper. 5 lobster on the 3 dives. But they were very active dives, except the 3rd.

The thermocline was BRUTAL. I was so glad I had my hood. There was also a diver diving in shorts and t-shirt. I don't know how he did it. My wife cooked a nice soup to eat with the tails the next day.

My buddy and I got 20 off the beach in Broward VERY early Wednesday morning on a single tank.
No eggs.
2 shorts.
2 bugs missed.
We never broke 17' deep.
I have never seen so many Octopus and Turtles off the beach at night.
Chug
Gave my ten tails away.

Last edited:
16 dives in 2 days off of Fort Pierce in less than 35' (private boat)
lots of shorts and eggers.
lots of BIG bugs (i mean huge). The bugzillas managed to be hard to catch and evade us. several 3 pounders made for a good end to the day.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom