Lobster with white claws??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Splitlip

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'll probably post this elsewhere as well, but..

A friend from the Northeast told me she ate a lobster with white claws and became violently ill. She was wondering if the bug was somehow tainted? I told her I had no clue as our Caribbean "lobster" don't have claws.

Ever seen this? I tried Googling and found nothing (but for white gold lobster claw chains, lol)

Thanks All.

Very interesting. I'm assuming the rest of the American lobster was red with the exception of the claws?

X

I was thinking more on this and thinking that she received a lobster that was slowly dying, or was dead in the tank/frozen soon after dying. Appendage discoloration might mean those limbs were in the process of dying? Ask her if she smelled an odor when she was eating, or if she was able to pick the lobster out of the tank.

Last edited:
there are albino lobsters

Very interesting. I'm assuming the rest of the American lobster was red with the exception of the claws?

X

That is correct

there are albino lobsters

For sure. So maybe this was an anomaly. I told her I would ask around. I'm thinking a bad bug for whatever reason.

Do lobsters get gangrene? Albino would be plain white all over, red with white claws sounds fishy to me.

Do lobsters get gangrene? Albino would be plain white all over, red with white claws sounds fishy to me.

Fishy? :rofl3:

I'm sorry, your response was on topic, and well informed. I'll just skulk away and go have another glass of Pinot Noir.

"Albino would be plain white all over" - not necessarily - there is often albinism in bilateral symetry - however you're correct in that a white claw is odd...

Fishy? :rofl3:

I'm sorry, your response was on topic, and well informed. I'll just skulk away and go have another glass of Pinot Noir.

I prefer a decent glass of Pinot Gris, or a full bodied Shiraz. :D On the surface of course :p everything tastes salty trying to drink underwater :p

For sure. So maybe this was an anomaly. I told her I would ask around. I'm thinking a bad bug for whatever reason.

I'm thinking she had a bad bug. Had a friend who also ate a lobster which had a small smell of ammonia disguised by a ton of sauce. Results - violent vomiting all night from eating tainted meat.

Wondering if it was a reputable restaurant? Some places store their previously live lobsters in the freezer. Bad :no:

X

Back
Top Bottom