Lobster/Scallop Hearings this Monday and Tuesday evenings

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious about the format and what was said by the various "sides" (divers vs. commercial fishermen vs. the state authorities).

Did you leave the event feeling hopeful, pessismistic, or unsure?

Thanks.

LD:
we all sat in a big High School auditorium. There was a panel of 8 ( I think ) from the commission and a few env. police. A brief presentation was given by the panel and specific slides of catch #'s were presented for the three issue we cared about
1) reduction in pots
2) imposing catch limits ( 10)/day
3) increase of minimum size

It was pretty much open mike. If you had something to say, you went to the mike and stated your name and then whether you were for or against the proposals and then gave your rationale.

In some cases, the leader of the commission would comment. He was clearly against the divers opinions and was not shy to show that.

a note on #3, all people were in favor of incresing the min. size, but it had to be for commercial as well as divers. not just for the divers.

I dont recall any commericail fisherman speaking. Some speakers made comparisons and at times the head panel guy asked to not make specific comparisions of divers vs. commercial. This was a grey area hard not to cross due to the way the data that was presented was laid out.

As far as impact, its hard to say. I think we presentd a strong solid case that was don so in a professional manner. In the end I dont know how the panel votes. or if we have any further recourse.
large_diver once bubbled...
Just curious about the format and what was said by the various "sides" (divers vs. commercial fishermen vs. the state authorities).

Did you leave the event feeling hopeful, pessismistic, or unsure?

Thanks.

The highlight was when someone asked, "where did you come up with the number 10 for a catch limit. Why not 11, why not 9?"

The response led me to believe that they had no rationale for that number. He did say that the data shows approximately 1 lobster per 1 hour of diving and then mumbled about 10 hours of diving in a day. The whole room cracked up. Forget doubles...I'm bringing my sextuples.

Let's see, how much weight will I need on my belt if I have 6 LP 120s with a BP/wings setup?

Sorry to keep "bugging" you ;-)...couple of additional questions.

Can you remember the general catch numbers they put up on the screen?

Who was the head of the commission? Any particular reason he is anti-diver?

Is there any way to provide additional feedback to the commission via e-mail or hard copy letter? When I've been involved in "open mike" sessions on other topics, it is often hard to get your point across, especially when there is hard data to be communicated. For someone that does not agree with your position, the information goes in one ear and out the other.

There are several well-organized diver clubs and diver groups in the area -- I would think a letter-writing or e-mail campaign could add to the argument on behalf of divers and demonstrate the level of interest from the diving community.

My $0.02.

Paul Diodati is head of the commission and I don't think he's strictly anti-diver. More like anti anything that infringes on commercial fishing interests. I've had experience with him in regards to the Striped Bass issue and wasn't very impressed. Even he agreed that we are a minor factor in the overall population. As for the 10 bug limit, it was a bit scary that they had NO hard basis for coming up with the number.
"Well, other states have a limit so we should too".
"What type of regulations do other states have i.e. diving after sunset"?
"Ummm...I don't know".
"What type of conservation benifits do you hope to gain by imposing a 10 per day possession limit? The extra lobster we don't take will just end up in commercial traps".
"Other states have a limit and since it's the states most important fishery, we should have a bag limit."
As for emailing him, you can do it throught the MDFW website so please do. We'll see. I'm just hoping this isn't the start of the slippery slope:boom:

While we wait to hear what the State is going to do, I decided to do a little digging. I think I found the real culprit. I was lucky enough to get ahold of a picture of him so if you ever happen to meet him, you know what to do:D

I think I saw this guy the last time I was diving off Cathedral! The SOB even flipped me off as I was swimming by! That's it, next time I'm in the area he's gonna end up on my plate. No more Mr. Nice diver!!

-Roman.

What's next? Lobbying that traps constitute cruel and unuaual punishment? Good gravy:D

P.S. This bit of humor is meant in no way to diminish the sadness I feel regarding the diver on the Poling:( . There but by the grace of God...

Back
Top Bottom