Lobsta Divahs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmmmm... Interesting post, especially since I am currently in Aizu-wakamatsu, where English in any form is a novelty. The next two weeks will be even more fun as my co-workers head back and leave me here alone to finish up. :shakehead:

Am I the only one who thinks thats kinda a stupid name? If I were a dude I wouldn't belong to that group.

That is because the people who live in the central to eastern part of Massachusetts do not pronounce the letter R correctly.

That is why you hear the joke about "pawk the caw in hawvawd yawd". :no
In English this sentence is pronounced "Park the car in Harvard Yard"

Given what I mentioned above you can see how "New England Lobster Divers" becomes "New England Lobstah Divahs".

Not pronouncing the letter "R" also seem prevalent to some degree in Rhode Island also.

People from western Massachusetts pronounce the letter R as do people in northern Connecticut. :)

That is because the people who live in the central to eastern part of Massachusetts do not pronounce the letter R correctly.

That is why you hear the joke about "pawk the caw in hawvawd yawd". :no
In English this sentence is pronounced "Park the car in Harvard Yard"

Given what I mentioned above you can see how "New England Lobster Divers" becomes "New England Lobstah Divahs".

Not pronouncing the letter "R" also seem prevalent to some degree in Rhode Island also.

People from western Massachusetts pronounce the letter R as do people in northern Connecticut. :)

So you have to dumb down the english language for the people in eastern Massachusetts? Jeesh and people think texas is weird. :shakehead::D

OK, everyone......Yalls just hurt ma feelins :eyebrow:, lol. I am Originaly from Maine OOB area to be precise. We neva prononce the aaaass (R), lol. :wink:

As a mata a fact....Yall is a bunch of Flatlanders, lol. A Flatlander is pretty much anyone who is not from Maine.

OK, everyone......Yalls just hurt ma feelins :eyebrow:, lol. I am Originaly from Maine OOB area to be precise. We neva prononce the aaaass (R), lol. :wink:

As a mata a fact....Yall is a bunch of Flatlanders, lol. A Flatlander is pretty much anyone who is not from Maine.

hehehehee At least ya'lls have a sense of humor, unlike the DIRs.... :D

I guess that leaves us DIR eastern MA guys with just a little sense of humor then.

:)

Wouldn't that be D I Aah?

ScubaTexan,
Thank you for that informative post. I now know that I should never travel to Massuchussetts. I would never survive (not proper pronunciation of r's) without insulting a bunch of the locals.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom