Lobsta Divahs?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

LOL. Sorry guys, it's not just Bostonians that have crazy regional accents you know. You guys are real Texans, right?

Yeah, it seems like the rest of the world (that small portion outside the Texas borders) just talks funny, but not really "ha ha" funny. :eyebrow:

I'm not actually sure it's English that some of those guys speak. :D

Me either.......by the time I got to Bar Harbor Me. once on a road trek you would have though I was in another country! BUT you gotta love those Mainers....what a cool group of folks. :)

Those guys are Mainiacs.

Bah Habah it something else. Spent a week up there diving, hiking and camping last summer. All good till you rolled into town and couldn't figure out what people were saying! Beautiful country up there, though. And the people are quite awesome. Just wish communication were easier!

I'm trying to imagine those first couple of years in the Kennedy Administration White House. Between JFK and LBJ, it really is a miracle that the Cuban Missile Crisis didn't blow up. Those Russians couldn't understand a damn thing the White House was saying!

Gotta be careful what you say though. Some of our own (and well liked) swampers originally migrated from up there that aways. Good thing they got out in the nick of time.:wink:

Oh, and the Dude with his head in the crapper is a Dudette!:D

Those guys are Mainiacs.

Bah Habah it something else. Spent a week up there diving, hiking and camping last summer. All good till you rolled into town and couldn't figure out what people were saying! Beautiful country up there, though. And the people are quite awesome. Just wish communication were easier!

Agreed.....last visit down east was B&B hopping with the wife.....rugged and wonderful country....true colonial America at it's best......and yea I agree the communications is strained at times....reminded me of the week we spend a in Quebec City.....never did catch onto that Canadian French lingo in QC.

Gotta be careful what you say though. Some of our own (and well liked) swampers originally migrated from up there that aways. Good thing they got out in the nick of time.:wink:

Oh, and the Dude with his head in the crapper is a Dudette!:D

Im allowed to make fun of New England, my moms from South Boston *shudder*, she was smart and went to florida on spring break, got knocked up with me.... The most annoying crap is she learned to talk normal after years of being free , but as soon as she visits or talks to the folks back home she comes back saying "Did ya pahk the Cah?"

Sign

Dudette

Ac-scent? Whaddaya mean ah hav un "ac-scent"? Wul, gaaahl-ley, ah nevr recolleck evr havin' nuthin' bein said bout th way ah talk. But then, everbuddy round me talks th same ways ah do!

Information on Boston and the surrounding area: Th ere's no school on SchoolStreet, no court on Court Street, no dock on Dock Square, no water on Water Street. Back Bay streets are in alphabetical 'oddah': Arlington, Berkeley,Clarendon , Dartmouth, etc. So are South Boston streets: A, B, C, D, etc. If the streets are named after trees (e.g. Walnut, Chestnut, Cedar), you're on Beacon Hill . If they're named after poets, you're in Wellesley.
Massachusetts Avenue is Mass Ave; Commonwealth Avenue is Comm Ave;
South Boston is Southie. The South End is the Sou th End.
East Boston i! s Easti e. The North End is east of the former West End. The West End and Scollay Square are no more; a guy named Rappaport got rid of them one night. Roxbury is The Burry, Jamaica Plain is J.P.

How to say these Massachusetts city names correctly:
**Say it wrong, be shunned**
Worcester: Wuhsta (or Wistah)
Gloucester : Glawsta
Leicester : Lesta
Woburn: Wooban
Dedham : Dead-um
Revere: Re-vee-
Quincy: Quinzee
Tewksbury : Tooks berry
Leominster : Lemin-sta
Peabody: Pee-ba-dee
Waltham : Walth-ham
Chatham: Chaddum
Samoset: Sam-oh-set or Sum-aw-set but nevah Summerset!

Definitions:
Frappes have ice cream, milkshakes don't.
If it is fizzy and flavored, it's tonic.
Soda is CLUB SODA.
'Pop' is DAD.
When we want Tonic WATER, we will ask for TONIC WATER.
The smallest beer is a pint.
Scrod is whatever they tell you it is, usually fish. If you paid more than $7/pound, you got scrod.
It's not a water fountain; it's a bubblah.
It's not a trashcan; it's a barrel.
It 's not a shopping cart; it's a carriage.
It's not a purse; it's a pock - a - book.
They're not franks; they're haht dahgs; Franks are money in Switzahland.

Police don't drive patrol units or black and whites they drive a 'crooza'. If you take the bus, you're on the 'looza crooza'. It's not a rubber band, it's an elastic. It's not a traffic circle, it's a rotary. 'Going to the islands' means Martha's Vineyard & Nantucket.

The Sox = The Red Sox
The C's = The Celtics
The B's = The Bruins
The Pat's =The Patriots
Things not to do:

Don't pahk your cah in Hahvid Yahd .. they'll tow it to Meffa (Medford) or Summahville (Somerville).
Don't sleep on the Common. (Boston Common)
Don't wear Orange in Southie on St. Patrick's Day.

Things you should know:
There are two State Houses, two City Halls, two courthouses, two Hancock buildings
(one old, one new for each).

The colored lights on top the old Hancock tell the weatha':
'Solid blue, clear view....'
'Flashing blue, clouds! due... .'
'Solid red, rain ahead....'
'Flashing red, snow instead....' - except in summer;
flashing red means the Red Sox game was rained out!

Most people live here all their life and still don't know what the hell is going on with this one.
Route 128 is I-95 south. It's also I-93 north.
The underground train is not a subway. It's the 'T', and it doesn't run all night (fah chrysakes, this ain't Noo Yawk).
Order the 'cold tea' in China Town after 2:00 am you'll get a kettle full of beer.

Bostonians... think that it's their God-given right to cut off someone in traffic.
Bostonians...think that there are only 25 letters in the alphabet (no R's) except in 'idea'.
Bostonians...think that three straight days of 90+ temperatures is a heat wave.
Bostonians...refer to six inches of snow as a 'dusting.'
Bostonian! s...always 'bang a left' as soon as the light turns green, and oncoming traffic always expects it.
Bostonians...believe that using your turn signal is a sign of weakness.
Bostonians...think that 63-degree ocean water is warm.
Bostonians...think Rhode Island accents are annoying.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom