Lobsta Divahs do it for the claws.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, it's the ugly practice of using chlorine bleach to dissolve the glue holding the eggs to berried females, so that they appear to be legal non-egg-bearing females when inspected, even if they are subjected to a chemical test that would discover the residual glue left behind if the eggs were scrubbed off with a brush.
I never heard of it either... but wouldn't "dipped" lobsters smell of bleach?

Thanks MSilvia for the "Dipping" knowledge and other answers.
Sounds repugnant to me, and every other rational human being in the world.
The Bahamians (among others worldwide) use chlorine to stun and clean out coral heads of fish and bugs.
It is unfortunately a common practice in the developing world, and among sub humans here in the western world.
The bad guys down south here will sometimes use a mop head on a short pole in a hole to tangle up a bug on their spinys, oh yeah and a large fish hook in the abdomen is another sweet trick the trash will sometimes use.
Someday I may find myself in Yankee land and give this a try.
I actually welcome some interaction with those fine lobstah-men up there who apparenty think that they own the entire sea bed because their grandfathers, grandfather fished these waters too.
We train for these encounters down south in a prepratory activity we call deer season with smokie thingies and fine swiss optics.

Oh Yeah, and for those of you like Paulthenurse that reach into holes.........I think you are nuts!
(Obviously because I have not been taught how to do it as yet, But then, some people think going 185' underwater with a small water heater on your back and breathing from it is nuts also)
Chug

Paul,

You boil lobster in your brewing pot? :shocked:

I would be worried that my next batch of brew would carry some of that flavor with it.

I would obviously prefer not to but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Besides PBW cures all. Yak, are you a brewer?

PTN

Yeah I went to a friends house over using my brewpot.

Whats PBW?

Sorry, Powdered Brewery Wash. Originally developed for the Coors Co, now everyone uses it, that stuff is magic pixie dust. It cleans up everything, krausen rings, beer stone, lobster schmegma, whatever you got.

I wouldn't know about pretty bad wine, my wine is pretty damned good.

PTN

I would obviously prefer not to but sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do. Besides PBW cures all. Yak, are you a brewer?

PTN

Yep. Beer, not wine. I've got a big can of PBW too, but I still don't like the thought of shellfish in the brewpot.

How hard is it to actually find large keepers like this when diving in the unrestricted area off Cape Cod?

Also, where would one go for this?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom