Loading slow?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Testing 123

Steve, it seems to be a tad better. I'll play on SB for a bit to see if it's better. Hold, please, will be right back after I've played a bit.

It's slow, 10 -12 seconds to load.

Time to load User CP if I'm already logged in ... 18 seconds, either Chrome or IE8. System was optimized today.

The lag time was working well for me today as I could click on something, minimize the window, get some work done, then come back just after it loaded and just in time to click and minimize again. Don't change a thing! :wink:

Just for an example, the forum home page is about 1MB, consisting of over 600K of images and over 300K of javascript, and requiring about 80 HTTP requests in order to render in the browser. On a full T1, this takes about 20 seconds to load. Each page takes (by my best guess) dozens of database requests.
That is obscene...

DEAR SCUBABOARD:

Please stop adding a bunch of unnecessary bloat to your website.
The home page in total should be 300k. TOPS.
Call me a grumpy old curmudgeon (barely in his 20's, hah!), but the forums of 5 years ago had a lot going for them.
You could do nearly all the same stuff as now, but without the excessive imagery and lag and bloated features.

I guess I now know why surfing this forum on Tapatalk is so much faster. Only DLs forum content to render locally.

All that being said, this place is STILL the biggest and best general scuba forum out there. There's a reason I'm proud to be a supporting member.

I don't know if it's always been around or not, but I do love that the new chartroom works great with iOS! So thanks for that :)

Had limited access to the computer this weekend but today I noticed that SB remains sloooow to load and to refresh. :depressed:

We hear you and we will be adding another web server as soon as we can. Bear with me as I am in the midst of a heavy travel schedule that should abate in about two weeks. I have to move a LAMP server first and then dial in the new web server for SB. I am almost finished configuring it now and getting ready to transfer a number of domains.

I should be at the data center tomorrow installing the new LAMP server and will be sure that they aren't throttling our band width, still we are %25 busier than this time last year and the data base is substantially bigger as well. As for Ads causing the problem: they exist in an incredibly tiny db that's cached in a way we can't cache the forum.

The good news is that our new skin (due last March) should correct a number of errors in our code and that alone will free up a lot of resources. We will be installing it as soon as they get it to us. We thank you for your patience.

Thanks Pete for letting us all know that information! Even if it is a little slow, it's still a great place to come :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom