Lizzie D - 7/31

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DEEPLOU

Contributor
Reaction score
Boynton Beach/ former Long Island, NY (THE ISLAND)
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Went out today with Captains Frank and John of the Sea Hawk out of Freeport, LI. After looking at the weather bouy last night and this morning before heading out of the house, I thought it was going to be a "meet at the boat and go out for breakfast" day.
At the boat, on Woodcliff Canal, it didn't seem as bad as the predictions were making it out to be. The captains decided to take a look. Once out to the inlet, they decided it was not going to be a day to head way off shore. So it was decided to head to the Lizzie D, A tug weighing 122 gross tons she sunk on October 19, 1922. The Lizzie D was reported sunk due to unknown reasons. now rests in 80 feet of water, eight miles southeast of Atlantic Beach Inlet. Her hull sits upright and mostly intact except for the entire upper deck which lies in pieces surrounding the wreck. She looks like a giant rowboat with many openings in the main deck. Her boiler rises just over her deck and openings ahead and astern allow easy penetration. Most of the cargo of full bottles is gone; her interior is littered with about two feet of broken glass and mud, but for the lucky few who dig in and around the wreck, intact bottles can still be found.
We tied into the bow. Upon descent, I went over the side to the sand and did a tour around the base where the hull meets the sand. There I came across a couple of very small lobsters and one legal sized one. After that it was up over the side and into the interior. A little un sussessful digging, then look around and found more small bugs.
On our surface interval, Frank took his turn while Capt John minded the store. Frank came up indicating he had been trying to get a very large lobster from the boiler. In addition right next to the lobster was a bottle stuck in the sediment. My second dive was devoted to the bottle and bug. Unfortunately, I was also unsuccessful in getting a grip on the bug or loosening the bottle from the boiler's grip.
By the time we surfaced from the second dive, the wind was now whipping and we headed in. By the time we made it to the dock, the wind was a good 20-25 kts.
All in all an enjoyable and successful day

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom