Living in Jakarta and teach diving

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CarcharodonCarcharias

Contributor
Reaction score
I am actually spend more time in JKT and most likely will move there next year.

Seems like the diving around in JKT is nothing to write home about after scouring the board.

But I guess the saving grace is that weekend trips to other dive spots will be a bit easier (then again, with domestic airlines, anything goes).

So here is my question: I am contemplating about getting certified as an instructor (no, I am not quitting my day job, LOL. I love what I do and teach diving will be a part-time hobby) and maybe moonlight as an instructor with dive shop in JKT (Bali would be great, but since I am not going to move there, so that's a moot point).

How difficult is it to get a dive shop to take one on as an instructor? I don't speak Bahasa (work in progress) but I am fluent in Mandarin Chinese.

I guess ultimately, what I am asking is does it make sense to go through the hurdles to get certified as an instructor and do that as part-time basis. Do I need a separate Kitas?

I know this is a broad topic and I apologize for unable to narrow down the scope. But if anyone can share his or her experience and shed some light on this topic, that will be great. Thanks in advance!

I rarely teach anymore as the headache and time commitment of scuba classes in Jakarta really isn't worth it as a part time hobby. Every now and then to keep my head in the game I still offer a class for students, teachers, and parents from the international school where I teach. When it comes to working the regular day job all day, dealing with Jakarta traffic to get to one of the dive shops, teaching until late, and fighting traffic back home...it pretty much kills the mood. Add in trying to coordinate and host your entire group to 1000 Islands for a weekend of checkout dives...it is a big process and added to my already borderline burnout. As there are no tourists in Jakarta, those learning scuba in English in Jakarta are expats- incredibly busy and over-scheduled. Consequently a group of six to eight has a tough time keeping the same schedule. It is common place for dad to have to cancel the weekend checkout trip as he must rush to Papua to take care of business...suddenly half the class can't make the trip and wants to reschedule...suddenly the hobby isn't so fun.

FWIW- Open water classes in Jakarta are a ton of money as the "resorts" that can support large groups of divers in the 1000 Islands are very expensive. Factor in two hour speed boat transfers each way, my fees and expenses, PADI fees, dive shop fees, etc... It adds up quickly. In fact, it costs less to fly to Bali and train there. Doing the academics and confined water in town and writing referrals is probably the best way to do scuba classes in terms of value and ensuring a quality class.

As for the KITAS... I have never taught anyone here outside of my school community so I never worried about the legality, but times have changed in the last year or two. In the current climate in Jakarta, I would NEVER work without proper documentation. If one's KITAS says he is here to be an engineering consultant with XXX oil company and is caught teaching scuba and "freelancing" for cash...he could be in serious legal trouble. And probably rightfully so as I know a few awesome local instructors with great English trying to eek out a living in a very expensive city.

I hope that does not sound too negative. I very much love living in Jakarta, and since moving here seven years ago I have fallen in love with scuba all over again. I regularly find myself underwater in places most people only dream about. I instructed part time in Florida for many many years, and fully expected to do the same when I moved here. I soon discovered Jakarta is great place to live as an expat diver, but not as an expat instructor.

Last edited:
Hi Matt,

Thanks for the insight. Much appreciated. Exactly what I was looking for.

No kidding about the traffic in JKT.

Sounds like the moonlighting instructor idea is more of an headache than anything else.

It also does not seem to justify it financially (the annual due as an instructor) as well. Couple that with the KITAS issue, I can foresee it as a nightmare in the making.

Not to mention it will kill the fun of the hobby.

Again, thanks for the tips amigo.

Cheers,

CC

Back
Top Bottom