LiveAboard

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jmusky49

Reaction score
I am thinking of going on a week long dive trip on a liveaboard. Can anyone give any suggestions/pricing. I have found in my research that the price range is between 1300 an 3000, not including taxes, fees and all the other incidentals.

I 've been on more than 15, just came back from 3 weks in Indo. What do you want to know. Where are you thinking of going. Have you picked a boat How much diving experience do you have Are you going single or with a buddy. If you want you can PM me i can tell you about Aggressors, Peter Hughes, and a few other boats. dive safe

Blackbeard Cruises in the Bahamas! I am putting a trip together, only $719 per person.

PacNWdiver:
Blackbeard Cruises in the Bahamas! I am putting a trip together, only $719 per person.

Plus $55 port tax and crew tip. If you book 10 slots you get a free one that you could diving up the value and use as the crew tip.

Going to have to give a few more clues about what comfort level and type of cruise you are looking for.

There is a huge difference in accomadations between a $700 and a $2000 trip. Want your own personal bathroom and shower? Probably won't find it for $700.

I was on one of the Nekton's boats last year. Very good setup, crew, food, and dives. They range around $1500 for the trip. I intend to use them again this year, because of the level of service we got from them last year.

If you have specific questions, ask away!

My husband wants us to go on a liveaboard. I just don't want to share a room or bathroom. . . Plus, what about just relaxing on a beach? I love being in the water--I had 41 dives my first season in New England. But after all, I still need a tan. :) Any thoughts?

Doder:
My husband wants us to go on a liveaboard. I just don't want to share a room or bathroom. . . Plus, what about just relaxing on a beach? I love being in the water--I had 41 dives my first season in New England. But after all, I still need a tan. :) Any thoughts?

I wouldn't do a liveaboard either where I have to share a bath and definitely not a room, it's just not my thing. There's lots of liveaboards where you don't have to share baths. I think all of Peter Hughes, Nekton, Cuan Law, all (or most?) of Aggressor cabins, Carribean Explorers, others. There's some boats that have a mix of private and shared. You want to pay close attention to the specs on the web sites to make sure you get what you want. Then there's something like Blackbeards - cheap but it sounds like camping. (I love camping, but somehow the boat version doesn't appeal to me!)

I didn't try a liveaboard for a long time because I wasn't sure I would like it, wouldn't like being cooped up, would miss the chance to stroll on the beach or explore. Turned out I loved it. Diving is so convienient and having few choices of what to do or where to go can be quite relaxing. Tanning is no problem, between dives your decision is usually whether to nap inside or on the sundeck. :)

My ideal thing is to do a liveaboard and tack on a few days at the end on land, get best of both.

Michael Schlink:
I 've been on more than 15, just came back from 3 weks in Indo. What do you want to know. Where are you thinking of going. Have you picked a boat How much diving experience do you have Are you going single or with a buddy. If you want you can PM me i can tell you about Aggressors, Peter Hughes, and a few other boats. dive safe

I will be diving with my SOS, so I would like a private head and room. We are thinking of May. We are just getting into uwphoto.

When we were in coz we developed a schedule of eat,dive, nap dive,nap,eat... and we loved the pace! So it would seem a natural to go on a livaboard.

We are very open regarding destination but do seem to be leaning towards the southwestern carib.

All thoughts are welcome.
Thanks
jrock

Deciding on which liveaboard requires some research. As has been mentioned amenities, food, accomadations, number of dives you can make etc. etc. Southwestern Carib. ?? Belize, Bay Islands or Cayman maybe?? Cayman would have to be the Aggressor, Bay Islands(Roatan) Aggressor again but Belize you have options, Peter Hughes, Aggressor or Nekton ( I think?). I've been on all but the Nekton. Several times. If this si your first liveaboard I'd take a good look at the Belize aggressor. The boat has received "best Liveaboard" several times. The diving is very good and very easy. Many direct flights to Belize city and a short drive to the boat. you'll dive on Glovers and or Turneffe and then spend most of your time on the southern end of Lighthouse reef. They usually do a beach picnic on Half Moon caye mid week. The runs between dive sites are very short and usually they move the boat while you are having bfast and lunch. Also as been mentioned and if you have time/$$$ you can hop over to Ambergris Caye for a few days for some pretty laid back land based fun-IE laying on the beach, racing golf carts, cocktails at sunset, etc. etc. If making 25 or so dives for the week yes youcan dive at Ambergris also Hit the web and you can find plenty of info or if you want you can ask for more specifics-Dive Safe-M

Although Blackbeards sounds cramped, it really wasn't. I went on Blackbeards last February with 22 of my closest diving friends and there was ample room on the 65ft sailboat that people had plenty of space.

They also dock in Bimini for an evening so that you can spread out on land.

The shared accommodations/bathrooms really wasn't an issue until the head got clogged......

I've also done a 7 day liveaboard on the Andaman sea through Andaman Divers and had a great time there for $500 USD. The only catch was the airfare at $1,800.

I'm also a member of a local dive club and we're currently planning a trip for the end of the year and we're looking at Peter Hughes. His liveaboards offer a lot for the non diver as well which is why it is attractive for us.

As a diver, I'm never too concerned with the accommodations - I'm more interested in the quality of the diving. Isn't that what it's all about?

Back
Top Bottom