Liveaboard Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I always pay by credit when settling up the whole bill at trip end, so no need for cash, besides I get the best exchange rate possible that way. Just add it to the trip bucket. I haven't felt like the crew was getting stiffed, though apparently that wasn't true of my Nekton tip.

I always pay by credit when settling up the whole bill at trip end, so no need for cash, besides I get the best exchange rate possible that way. Just add it to the trip bucket. I haven't felt like the crew was getting stiffed, though apparently that wasn't true of my Nekton tip.

If you are in an all inclusive type situation and you are settling, cash or credit card should be handled the same.

Otherwise there is a management issue that you are not aware of and cash or credit card will be handled the same in mis appropriation. Actually, cash would be easier to mis appropriate.

With this in mind though...cash is usually easiest and in some places they have to deduct up to 5% or more even for credit card use. The operation may eat that for purchases, but normally they won't eat it for tips. Which I understand.

But the bottom line is, cash or credit card, the tip is appreciated equally and if it is a good staff you will have gotten the same service even if you spoke up front about your financial situation. That, to me, would actually be a bit taboo.

Just go with the flow, do your thing and say thank you however you can.

Reactions: Jax
So, I'm to take it that cash is preferred?

Crew prefer Cash for three main reasons.

1.) It's in their hand that day. No hassles.

2.) cash payments are easily "not reportable on taxes".

3.) Some liveaboard operators in the past have had a "history" of not paying crew tips processed on credit card in a "timely manner". (for example there were reports I think by Nekton crew members not getting paid their tips done on credit card).

Cash always makes crew members happy.

All I know is in my last liveaboard, the service was all good until the bills were settled, where after that, I was told the bartender wasn't so enthusiastic on servicing some people and said the bar was closed. Maybe some people stiffed them out on tips...the bartender being the lowest on the totem pole, probably got the least.

Crew prefer Cash for three main reasons.

1.) It's in their hand that day. No hassles.

2.) cash payments are easily "not reportable on taxes".

3.) Some liveaboard operators in the past have had a "history" of not paying crew tips processed on credit card in a "timely manner". (for example there were reports I think by Nekton crew members not getting paid their tips done on credit card).

Cash always makes crew members happy.

If it is a bigger operation they should get their tips all together credit card or cash. Most process them very quickly and, like I said, it makes no difference.

The OP was talking live aboards.

Small diver operators are different and of course everyone operates differently, but this has been my experience.

If it is a bigger operation they should get their tips all together credit card or cash. Most process them very quickly and, like I said, it makes no difference.

The OP was talking live aboards.

Small diver operators are different and of course everyone operates differently, but this has been my experience.

I was referring to Live Aboards operations in my post.

Some live aboard operators that collect "crew tips" via credit card (for the convenience of customers), have been known not to quickly distribute them to crew members as pay in a reasonable amount of time. (within the next pay period).

I referenced Nekton because some of the crew members were going SEVERAL WEEKS without being paid their tips and posted about it on SB.

I was referring to Live Aboards operations in my post.

Some live aboard operators that collect "crew tips" via credit card (for the convenience of customers), have been known not to quickly distribute them to crew members as pay in a reasonable amount of time. (within the next pay period).

I referenced Nekton because some of the crew members were going SEVERAL WEEKS without being paid their tips and posted about it on SB.

Well, hopefully that was an isolated case and not the norm. I just try not to discourage CC payment because it may affect how people think at the end of their trip when counting how much cash they need to get home. Just my .02

Well, hopefully that was an isolated case and not the norm.

I think you're correct. They were having troubles. . I'm sure some other boats have issues somewhere, but no where near that bad.

In Nekton's case, they had financial management issues and maintenance issues (which are usually because of finance issues). So the ships had problems, trips were canceled, and when trips were canceled, the company doesn't make money and neither does the crew (on tips). It ends up being a bad day for everyone.

In the end, Nektons financial issues were their demise. They are now no longer in business.

I just try not to discourage CC payment because it may affect how people think at the end of their trip when counting how much cash they need to get home. Just my .02

I think people/customers prefer Credit Card payment because it's easier/convenient to them. Now days most folks prefer not to carry $200-$1,000 in cash. However, the liveaboard crews prefer cash any day. (can't say I'd blame them).

I think you're correct. They were having troubles. . I'm sure some other boats have issues somewhere, but no where near that bad.

In Nekton's case, they had financial management issues and maintenance issues (which are usually because of finance issues). So the ships had problems, trips were canceled, and when trips were canceled, the company doesn't make money and neither does the crew (on tips). It ends up being a bad day for everyone.

In the end, Nektons financial issues were their demise. They are now no longer in business.

I think people/customers prefer Credit Card payment because it's easier/convenient to them. Now days most folks prefer not to carry $200-$1,000 in cash. However, the liveaboard crews prefer cash any day. (can't say I'd blame them).

Well, having been a live aboard crew for a while I would prefer whatever method gets the most out of your pocket :D

Lots of good input! Thanks, folks! :thumb:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom