Liveaboard Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the group tip basket approach. I don't like the "call the diver into the wheelhouse alone so no one else can see" method. If you want an envelope, we'll give you one. Usually folks throw cash in the tip basket, but we do allow credit card tips too. The crew cashes out the following payday. Every time. I have a fiduciary responsibility to me crew to, oh, I don't know, PAY THEM?

If someone goes way out of their way for you, like, lends you a bra, see that person separately.

:spit:

I tend toward the group tip basket approach because even if you noticed one guy for something in particular, perhaps you didn't notice the others because they were also doing a good job. For example, no cares about tech support until you need it, then they're fantastic until they fade back again because everything is working.

I also tend toward if you think you can't afford the tip, you can't afford the trip. For the prices we're talking about, it's not going to seriously break anyone. While you might not do $500, a couple hundred ought to be in reach. I'd reckon very VERY few who go on multi-thousand dollar trips literally could not afford to pay it. Someone might not WANT to pay it, but could. I just don't think it necessarily right either to go on a boat where tips are geared as a large part of the compensation and skip that because you either don't want to or can't pay. Perhaps you could just say upfront that you'd like only basic care, so you won't owe... :) Heck, we're pretty lucky that they are making a portion of the cost variable. If they included tips, we'd probably end up paying more.

I tend toward the group tip basket approach because even if you noticed one guy for something in particular, perhaps you didn't notice the others because they were also doing a good job. For example, no cares about tech support until you need it, then they're fantastic until they fade back again because everything is working.

I also tend toward if you think you can't afford the tip, you can't afford the trip. For the prices we're talking about, it's not going to seriously break anyone. While you might not do $500, a couple hundred ought to be in reach. I'd reckon very VERY few who go on multi-thousand dollar trips literally could not afford to pay it. Someone might not WANT to pay it, but could. I just don't think it necessarily right either to go on a boat where tips are geared as a large part of the compensation and skip that because you either don't want to or can't pay. Perhaps you could just say upfront that you'd like only basic care, so you won't owe... :) Heck, we're pretty lucky that they are making a portion of the cost variable. If they included tips, we'd probably end up paying more.

Not speaking for myself, as I am thoroughly blessed through a lifetime of hard work. However, I know some will save up for such a trip, and maybe the tip won't be what the wished it could. Or they drive down from N Florida but didn't plan on the gas prices going so high. Or the transmission goes out on the family van before the trip.

Just hoping that people will understand that people are not necessarily cheap . . . sometimes, it's just hard times.

I was one of those folks who thought the tipping range on a liveaboard was just way to high. UNTIL I WENT ON MY FIRST LIVEABOARD! Last summer I was on the Okeanous Aggressor. It was my first liveaboard trip. I'll tell you I have never had service like that. Rooms were kept spotless, food was great and pretty much whatever you wanted they made, hot chocolate waiting for you after the dive, super friendly crew always ready to lend assistance when needed. By the time the trip was over I tipped more than what I thought was too much before I went on the trip.

In the end I didn't mind tipping well because they had earned it. And, by the way, I'm now hooked on liveaboards! I chartered the entire Aqua Cat for this 4th of July and may charter a Turks and Caicos boat for next summer.

I was one of those folks who thought the tipping range on a liveaboard was just way to high. UNTIL I WENT ON MY FIRST LIVEABOARD! Last summer I was on the Okeanous Aggressor. It was my first liveaboard trip. I'll tell you I have never had service like that. Rooms were kept spotless, food was great and pretty much whatever you wanted they made, hot chocolate waiting for you after the dive, super friendly crew always ready to lend assistance when needed. By the time the trip was over I tipped more than what I thought was too much before I went on the trip.

In the end I didn't mind tipping well because they had earned it. And, by the way, I'm now hooked on liveaboards! I chartered the entire Aqua Cat for this 4th of July and may charter a Turks and Caicos boat for next summer.

I'm available for adoption! :blinking:

So, I'm to take it that cash is preferred?

What does one do with all that cash on a boat? :hm:

I have my first liveaboard booked for next spring and had never given much thought to this. We're both generous tippers, but hadn't given much thought to this situation. $500 does seem steep at first glance, but after reading the arguments for tipping this amount, I have to say they make sense. I'm glad I followed this thread rather than find myself on board unprepared.

Thanks,

This question comes up before/during/at the end of every live-aboard trip I've ever done ( and I've been luck to do them all over the world ).

I truly believe you should do a once-in-a-lifetime trip every year!

The previous excellent posts have pretty much covered it.

The problem I have is when divers under tip for what ever excuse.

I think a fair way could be to have a base tip included in the upfront cost of the trip,

then if the service is above average tip accordingly.

It is up to the individual.

So, I'm to take it that cash is preferred?

What does one do with all that cash on a boat? :hm:
The Aggressors have a ship's safe available, but I've never bothered with it. Assume your fellow divers and the crew are not thieves, and you will almost always be correct.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom