Liveaboard Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Having returned from our first liveaboard, I can now speak from experience rather than speculation, as I did in my post(s?) above. (Always a good practice.) In my post, I voiced an opinion that I'd rather be given an opportunity to tip in advance, when I paid for the liveaboard on-line, rather than be expected to fork over a wad of cash on the boat. Our liveaboard did not accept credit cards, so the choice we were given was US dollars or Indonesian Rupiah. We duly lugged an inch-thick stash of Rupiah in our mo ney belts through several weeks in Indonesia, our trip culminating with the liveaboard.

We were stunned by how much the crew seemed to work to make the divers happy. They worked HARD. Every crew member, from the director on down, pulled his weight and more. Nobody ever seemed to have the attitude of "that's not my job," and no matter who you asked for help or asked a question to, they would immediately see to it. If I had any reservations about the practice of tipping (which I did), they were dispelled on the very first day.

Service industry people in the U.S. expect tips as part of their normal compensation and often don't work any harder in the hope of a tip. If in the olden days the purpose of a tip was to reward exceptional service, it has lost that meaning in the U.S. But on our Indonesian liveaboard, I got the feeling that the tip was very much on their minds, especially on the last day or two when all of us noticed an even greater effort by the crew. When a divemaster sits down with you after the dive to help you identify fish and ask how your dive was without your asking, you know something's fishy--but in a sort of charming way.

On the last day, the director gave us the dreaded "and now you may tip if you wish" speech. I expected somewhat of a heavy-handed approach, but I thought he did it with just the right touch. We were told a tip is not required, that the crew would split the pot evenly--from the captain and director on down to the cook--and that a typical tip is "about 10%." Envelopes were discretely available on the table for anonymous tipping. My wife and I tipped 10%, which was an annoying half-inch thick wad of Rupiah. This was one of my complaints in my post above--that we'd have to carry an annoying amount of local cash. It was indeed annoying, especially since the liveaboard was not our first stop on this trip to Indonesia--but the bottom line is that I got some pleasure out of tipping, and I felt 10% was quite reasonable for the level of effort they put in. Yes, everyone on a dive boat is paid well by Indonesian standards, but after seeing how hard they worked, we felt good about tipping. I'm sure that many divers on the boat did not come from countries where American-sized tips are common, and so 10% is probably a good number for all to work from.

Anyway, whatever I said in my posts above about tipping and wishing it were possible to just include the tip or service charge at the time of on-line booking--forget about it. If the crew works that hard on every liveaboard I do, I won't hesitate, even if it means carrying a half inch stack of local currency.

On the last day, the director gave us the dreaded "and now you may tip if you wish" speech. I expected somewhat of a heavy-handed approach, but I thought he did it with just the right touch. We were told a tip is not required, that the crew would split the pot evenly--from the captain and director on down to the cook--and that a typical tip is "about 10%."

That speech should not be dreaded by either the cruise director or the passenger. Some boats have a tipping recommendation of 10%, some 15-20%. Some prefer cash, some allow credit cards. If either party dreads hearing the policies of the boat, everyone loses or has hard feelings. Every boat will let you know what the policies are at the appropriate time. A lot of first time liveaboarders anticipate that conversation with some trepidation. As stated many times, if you're morally opposed to tipping, or feel that the crew did a lousy job, by all means don't leave a tip. You will make the crew wonder, however, what they did wrong.

My wife and I tipped 10%, which was an annoying half-inch thick wad of Rupiah. This was one of my complaints in my post above--that we'd have to carry an annoying amount of local cash. It was indeed annoying, especially since the liveaboard was not our first stop on this trip to Indonesia
US Dollars work really well in Indonesia for tips. They are happily accepted, come in denominations as large as $100 (worth about 934,600 Rupiah), and are only .0043 inch thick.

US Dollars work really well in Indonesia for tips. They are happily accepted, come in denominations as large as $100 (worth about 934,600 Rupiah), and are only .0043 inch thick.

Well, Vladimir, this particular boat specifically told us that rupiah is preferred over US dollars, so we made an effort to tip in rupiah.

I dive liveabaords quite often and typically leave 15% as a standard and slip extra to crew members who go above & beyond. As stated in previous posts, these people are your waiters, your bartenders, your stewards, your diveguide, your personal chauffeur, your lifeguards, your medics and the janitors of the boat. They certainly earn it. They never sleep and they are cramped into the worst living quarters on the boat. I laughed when I read the post about them earning it just for managing a smile every day - so true!

Matt

Well, Vladimir, this particular boat specifically told us that rupiah is preferred over US dollars, so we made an effort to tip in rupiah.
It was nice of you to accommodate their wishes, especially since you found the rupiah annoying. I usually just dole out US dollars while traveling in Southeast Asia, usually with an apology: "Sorry, I have no rupiah/ baht/ ringgit/ pesos."

It was nice of you to accommodate their wishes, especially since you found the rupiah annoying. I usually just dole out US dollars while traveling in Southeast Asia, usually with an apology: "Sorry, I have no rupiah/ baht/ ringgit/ pesos."

Well, we were traveling in Indonesia for a week or so before the liveaboard, and we would have gotten strange looks trying to buy noodles from a street stall with US dollars. I have found that US dollars are generally not graciously accepted in SEA, except in the more upscale/international hotels. So we just converted a couple of hundred dollars into a large stack of rupiah and got it over with when we arrived in Jakarta, knowing we'd use the bulk of it for the liveaboard tip. Anyway, for divers who arrive internationally, immediately begin their liveaboard, and then go right back home, I have no doubt that they would be fine just bringing US dollars.

---------- Post Merged at 08:12 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 08:00 AM ----------

That speech should not be dreaded by either the cruise director or the passenger. . . .

This passenger will probably never get over his dread of "the tip talk." I wouldn't appreciate a restaurant server explaining their tipping policy to me. Now, I realize that dive boats are different. As posts in this thread suggest, there is a lot of confusion about what is an appropriate tip under what circumstances. And the liveaboard may be based in some part of the world where tipping in restaurants, taxis, etc., is nearly unheard of (which is much of the world). Even if the boat is located in the US, Caribbean, Australia, etc., some international guests may not come from a culture where tipping is common, and tipping may not come to mind unless it is mentioned to them. So, I do understand. But I will never be comfortable with being reminded about tipping. And that's why I voiced an opinion in a post above that maybe being given an opportunity to pay a specified service charge on-line at the same time I paid for my trip would be more appealing to me. As I said, though, it turned out that I kind of enjoyed the opportunity to reward the crew at the end of the trip. But I still felt it was awkward having the tipping policy told to me, no matter how gently they did it.

If there's a guide/DM in the water then 10% or more, depending on how feel about the job they did, is reasonable, I would say. Here in CA, liveaboards motor you to a spot, the Cap offers a briefing, and the gate is opened for a fixed time. You're on your own to get lost or not. IMHO, no tip is warranted for this. Sure there is a crew helping out with this and that and cooking food, and one can offer some small tip if one feels they did a good job. But I don't believe one should tip an operator for motoring one to spots and dumping one overboard. That basic service has already been paid for, typically handsomely.

Well, we were traveling in Indonesia for a week or so before the liveaboard, and we would have gotten strange looks trying to buy noodles from a street stall with US dollars. I have found that US dollars are generally not graciously accepted in SEA, except in the more upscale/international hotels. So we just converted a couple of hundred dollars into a large stack of rupiah and got it over with when we arrived in Jakarta, knowing we'd use the bulk of it for the liveaboard tip. Anyway, for divers who arrive internationally, immediately begin their liveaboard, and then go right back home, I have no doubt that they would be fine just bringing US dollars.
To be clear, I was talking about tipping in US dollars, not settling my bills that way. In the fourteen years that I have lived in Southeast Asia, nobody I have tipped in US dollars has been anything but gracious.

The following is what I share about Galapagos liveaboard tipping:

Tips are discretionary and based on services rendered, but it is an important part of the crew's income. On all cruises in Galapagos, both dive and naturalist cruises, the recommended amount is 10% of the cost of your cruise. The dive guides and the rest of the crew will split the tips. While the dive guide's role is obvious, some of the other crew members aren't quite as obvious if they are doing their jobs well....The captain who safely piloted you through the intense Galapagos waters, the chef who can make or break a cruise, the engineer who filled your tanks with just the right mix, the panga drivers who kept eagle eyes out on where you would surface so you weren’t carried away by a current, the steward who makes sure your cabins are clean, the first mate who is piloting when the captain isn’t and is most likely one of your panga drivers...all vital services to the memory you leave with. So remember the jobs they performed when you’re tipping because sometimes, no contact with certain crew members makes it seem like they were irrelevant to your trip when they were, in fact, completely vital.

Most won't accept credit cards onboard for tips due to the cc charge being processed on the mainland, so the process of getting the money back to crew members is a problem. Plus, in Galapagos, liveaboards that accept credit cards charge 6% + 12% local tax on whatever you put on your credit card. Better to bring cash for anything you need to purchase / pay for onboard.

So I don't really understand why Europeans don't tip. They're not at home, so should be able to adapt to local practices rather than imposing their own country's practices. I don't know if it's still the same, but I remember stopping at a "Rest Area" on the Autobahn for a bathroom stop and the bathroom attendant definitely expected a tip...loudly let you know that was the custom there. Who knew? We don't leave tips at Rest Areas in the US. But you are informed and adapt to the local custom.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom