Liveaboard Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hmmm. I wonder if the aliens are from a tipping or non-tipping culture?

I think they got Jax a long time ago....

:shocked:

You WEREN'T SUPPOSED TO TELL!!!!!!! :chairfight:

Blah blah blah. Tipping is part of the business model for certain segments of the service industry. The crew of the Aquacat get about $100/wk.
If you want to let someone do a job for you and then not pay for it then fine...hang a sign around your neck that says "cheap bastard who will cheat you" and go your way.
You pay some people through the owner and the owner pays their wages or you pay them directly. It's usually obvious before you sign up...but be sure to realize that if tipping is recommended then that is the only way the service people are getting paid.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk

Tipping - Wikitravel

Interest read, especially how tipping is primarily a North American export.

Interesting. too bad it's not filled out more.

I knew in France you didn't tip the "10-20%" but a small bit to say "nice service". But those french waiters really liked Americans when they tipped like we do at home. (amazing the number of rude French waiters we ran into also).

In Aruba, it's the same. They include the service charge in the bill. so you just leave just a small tip (a few bucks) to indicate good service. However, I found that many places there have the "tip area" on the credit card and also print the "tip percentage amount" as a guide.

example, your bill is $65 bucks, it would have a suggestion like
15% = $9.75
18% = $11.70
20% = $13.00

While this isn't illegal to do this "suggestion", it definitely increased tips over the "accepted norm for the country'.

I'm sure most folks don't realize it and the wait staff essentially comes out with "double tips".

I do not agree with BrotherBear. Although I tip employees for good service, I pay only the owner and I expect her to provide the service I purchased at the advertised quality. Tips are not part of the cost. People who work for tips do so at their own choice. One is not cheating by failing to tip. Everyone who tips is making a voluntary additional payment that he or she need not make. Even though the vast majority of North Americans tip regularly, it is attitudes like those expressed above - that not tipping is either cheap or cheating - that is the worst outcome of our generous history of tipping. It breeds expectation instead of gratitude and extra effort.

Reactions: Jax
Crew prefer Cash for three main reasons.

1.) It's in their hand that day. No hassles.

2.) cash payments are easily "not reportable on taxes".

3.) Some liveaboard operators in the past have had a "history" of not paying crew tips processed on credit card in a "timely manner". (for example there were reports I think by Nekton crew members not getting paid their tips done on credit card).

Cash always makes crew members happy.
I use a credit card for tips, and pay around 10%
I think crews should pay tax that they owe, and do not feel bad about not making it easy for them to not do so.

Blah blah blah. Tipping is part of the business model for certain segments of the service industry. The crew of the Aquacat get about $100/wk.
If you want to let someone do a job for you and then not pay for it then fine...hang a sign around your neck that says "cheap bastard who will cheat you" and go your way.
You pay some people through the owner and the owner pays their wages or you pay them directly. It's usually obvious before you sign up...but be sure to realize that if tipping is recommended then that is the only way the service people are getting paid.

Sent from my ADR6300 using Tapatalk
I find it hard to beleive that the Aquacat crew only get about $100/week. I have done 10 trips with them, and there is always at least 20 divers. with 8 crew (it is usually 7?), that would mean the average tip given by each diver is $40 for a week of diving. I don't think that is the case.
(Or were you saying that $100 is the salary from the company?)

Interesting. too bad it's not filled out more.

I knew in France you didn't tip the "10-20%" but a small bit to say "nice service". But those french waiters really liked Americans when they tipped like we do at home. (amazing the number of rude French waiters we ran into also).

In Aruba, it's the same. They include the service charge in the bill. so you just leave just a small tip (a few bucks) to indicate good service. However, I found that many places there have the "tip area" on the credit card and also print the "tip percentage amount" as a guide.

example, your bill is $65 bucks, it would have a suggestion like
15% = $9.75
18% = $11.70
20% = $13.00

While this isn't illegal to do this "suggestion", it definitely increased tips over the "accepted norm for the country'.

I'm sure most folks don't realize it and the wait staff essentially comes out with "double tips".

Using a "service charge" as an example in a restaurant isn't a good example. More than likely the waiter only gets a percentage of that charge.

It should be distributed throughout the kitchen staff and all then the owner takes the rest usually. Sometimes fairly, to cover increasing costs and not raise the prices or change menus.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom