Liveaboard Tipping

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I agree that it does sound a bit expensive at first, but think of all the trouble they're going for

As long as they're serving you, and serving you well, a 10-15% tip is very reasonable

That said, I wouldn't tip a single cent if they treated me horribly, it depends on their disposition towards you really

Don't understand "dreading the tip talk". What is there to dread? It seems to indicate dreading giving them money you must think they deserve, otherwise you wouldn't be concerned about having to give it to them. I mean, if you don't think they deserve the tip, then you would be secure in not giving it to them based on X reasons. And not discussing the tip doesn't make sense either because you have already decided whether you are going to tip or not, so the clarification of method doesn't seem to add to it.

I'd also suggest that most people outside the US would be overjoyed to get their hands on dollars but are concerned over exchange rate they'll give you (appreciably less than the bank) and because they probably won't have that much change.

Assume a 7 day liveaboard with 16 passengers at $4000 each, a crew of 8, and a 15% tip. Where in the third world do servants make $171 a day?

Assume a 7 day liveaboard with 16 passengers at $4000 each, a crew of 8, and a 15% tip. Where in the third world do servants make $171 a day?
I think you will find that if you are tipping in the recommended 10-15% range you are subsidizing some of the more frugal passengers. This is the big problem—at least theoretically—with tipping, versus levying a fixed service charge.

I think you will find that if you are tipping in the recommended 10-15% range you are subsidizing some of the more frugal passengers. This is the big problem—at least theoretically—with tipping, versus levying a fixed service charge.

Tipping is supposed to be a gratuity for good service, the idea that one should tip well to make up for those who tip poorly is plain silly.

Tipping is supposed to be a gratuity for good service, the idea that one should tip well to make up for those who tip poorly is plain silly.
To be clear, I didn't say you should subsidize the poor tippers; I said that you would, in effect. You were looking at the aggregate income if everybody tipped as recommended. Not everybody does. I am not saying that should motivate you one way or another, just observing the subsidy that fact makes evident, as an economist might.

<<subsidizing some of the more frugal passengers. This is the big problem>> Problem or benefit depending on whether you are one of the "frugal". :) On a side note, I'd say you can't describe someone who rides around on a boat for a week for 4 grand as "frugal" just because they don't want to pay a tip. "Frugal" would be the guy who has $4K but doesn't go on the trip, spending part of the money on a car repair, and a small dinner out while putting the rest in the bank.

interesting discussion.

I think I would quit my job and move to the tropics if I thought I could make $170/day working on a dive boat :)

So, I will be tipping 10% on my next dive trip, maybe less after I run the numbers of what each staff member will be getting, assuming that every passenger is tipping the same as me :)

If any boat charges $4,000 for a 7 day trip with 16 guests, they better have more than 8 crew!! A more realistic calculation may be closer to $2,000 x 16 passenger x 10% suggested rate / 7 days / 12 crew or $38 per day.

That assumes the boat is full every trip and that everyone tips the same 10%. As Vladimir pointed out, that assumption is a stretch. Does anyone still want to sleep on a mattress on the floor in the compressor room, see your family a few days a year and happily work, pretty much without breaks, for months at a time for the maximum $38 / day plus normal salary? If you are exceptional, please send me your resume!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom