Liveaboard Logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

More than anything, make sure you've got the lycra socks. :wink:

I totally understand why you get singled out by TSA. They get nervous when people bring sharks through security.:rofl3:

So oddly enough, both of my bags got flagged on my last flight (just got back from Hawaii!), and both contained shark bags (I made a case out of shark fabric for my big camera too)... you might be on to something :wink:

I'm glad to hear all the amenities provided on the Amira- especially stuff like hangers and fans for drying gear, and a wall of tools- I hadn't seen that in any of the pictures, so that's a nice surprise!

@LiteWeight - I'm doing an 11 day itinerary, so I image my route will be similar. How were water temps when you were there? Also, did you use/need a reef hook for any of the dives? (I don't have one but was planning on picking one up just in case)

@borisphotosafari - Thank you for sharing your experience on the Amira as well! This is my first liveaboard, and it sounds like they'll set the bar pretty high :)

You are setting your bar very high, Amira should not disappoint. It's a beautiful and really functional boat. There is lots of room on the boat to get away from others if you feel like. The crew are great too.
If you haven't noticed, I love that boat. And after other LOBs, I always go back to Amira.

Thought of another Amira-specific question: Any restrictions/rules on where/when you can charge stuff? (eg- is it ok to charge stuff in your room unattended?)

Thought of another Amira-specific question: Any restrictions/rules on where/when you can charge stuff? (eg- is it ok to charge stuff in your room unattended?)
If they do allow people to charge stuff in room while unattended (I would be very surprised if they do) I would seriously raise a red flag and demand that it not be allowed. We can only hope that after two very tragic accidents this year the liveaboards worldwide are making changes in how they and their passengers charge stuff.

Not sure how I missed this post, but I quickly learned after my first dive in boots that I need socks to go with them! Haven't left home without them since :)
Or.... Wear the probe iDry boots, allegedly the ugg of booties :D

I'll be carrying 4 sets of pair of socks, Under Armor underwears and rash guards. Wear each set under my wetsuit & booties, rinse / wash them after each dives, hang them to dry for their next turn of use. By doing this round robin way, each set has time to dry or getting worn once a day when we do 4 dives / day.

See you there in 39 days @scuBecca :)

If they do allow people to charge stuff in room while unattended (I would be very surprised if they do) I would seriously raise a red flag and demand that it not be allowed. We can only hope that after two very tragic accidents this year the liveaboards worldwide are making changes in how they and their passengers charge stuff.

The Conception fire is what made me think of it (probably should have thought about it sooner!). I was planning on charging most of my gear in the camera room, which, since it was designed as a dedicated camera area, I figured would be wired with the capacity to handle tons of equipment (but maybe I shouldn't make that assumption)... will also look into travel CO/smoke detectors for some added peace of mind.

Or.... Wear the probe iDry boots, allegedly the ugg of booties :D

If those boots really do dry in minutes, I'd buy a pair in a heartbeat! My 5mm boots take FOREVER to dry, and if I don't get them dry within a day or so, they start getting stinky... :vomit:

I'll be carrying 4 sets of pair of socks, Under Armor underwears and rash guards. Wear each set under my wetsuit & booties, rinse / wash them after each dives, hang them to dry for their next turn of use. By doing this round robin way, each set has time to dry or getting worn once a day when we do 4 dives / day.

See you there in 39 days @scuBecca :)

I was planning on packing 4 swimsuits to cycle through, but currently only have one pair of socks- will definitely be picking up a few extras before the trip! AHH!!!! It's coming up quickly!!!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom