Liveaboard Logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I made my rinse tank :) it's about 12" x 4.5" x 10", which holds several meals+snacks, or, you know, my rig and a couple lights :)

This is my little lunch bag:

shark-bag.jpg

Which I mostly got because it was cute, but it conveniently fits my housing, strobe, arms, clamps and tray (I'm really good at Tetris). I almost always get flagged going through security, so if I don't feel like chancing it, I'll pull that shark bag out and send it through separately. Otherwise, when my bag gets kicked out and they ask if there are any fragile items, it's super-easy to point the TSA folks to the shark lunch bag in the middle of my backpack :)

My input would have been that your own rinse tank on the level liveaboard you are going on would be unnecessary but you had other uses for it too so that bird has flown.

One thing I will reinforce after being said previously: I recommend packing your clothes in those sealing bags. The ones you seal and roll up to get the air out. My recommendation is because any sea water that dribbles out of some object that was in the ocean will create a smell you might be surprised is SO bad. You might able to wash it out of your clothes but it's easier to avoid. I use a dive bag as my sole luggage. I carry my scuba gear and anything else is sealed in bags/ziplocks.

I definitely like the idea of putting my clothes in ziplock bags, especially if I've got wet/damp scuba gear flying home. After 30+hours confined in my bag, everything touching the wetness is going to smell pretty terrible!

I just got off the Amira less than 2 weeks ago. Feel free to ask me any questions. I didn't have a camera but passed through the camera area many times. There is a big camera room behind the dive deck and close to the lower rooms, with about 10 stations I think. Each station has 2 European (2 round prong) charging outlets at least. If you have many things to charge I would bring an adapter and power strip, there is plenty room.

I never saw anyone put their cameras on the deck, each station has a mat and I think the camera stations have a small rail at the edge of the table like all boats do. It never got really rough, we had a few times when it was rolling quite a bit but then the captain moved us to a better anchorage.

I was in an upper room so can't vouch for the lower ones, but didn't have to put toiletries in mesh bags to avoid flying everywhere (again, it was never really that rough). There is not much counter space available, so a hanging toiletry kit would be ideal. I would bring some clips to secure clothes, the upper rooms have wooden dowels on the outside of the cabin and there is a clothesline setup on the top deck, might want to bring some clothespins.

Thank you @LiteWeight - there's only so much I could glean from the pictures, hearing from someone who's been on the boat is much more helpful.

I knew I was probably overthinking things, but I was also a bit stuck on the best way to make things work. It sounds like hanging toiletry bag is the way to go. Will add clips/clothespins to hang stuff to dry. I've also got a little powerstrip I'll be pushing that has enough plugins for all my electronics.

What route did you sail?

Oh, and how dry did your gear get after the last dive, as the boat headed back to port?

I don't have the names of the areas as my dive log is at home, but we sailed northwest out of Sorong, dove there for a day or 2, then South to Misool area where we spent most of the trip. Then back North to Sorong through a 'channel'. Whole route was like counter-clockwise to North, West, and South of Sorong - that is the 11 day trip itinerary, I don't know if others are different.

Last dive was the morning before we disembarked, gear was very dry by that evening and everyone packed it up then. As mentioned the top deck has a clothesline and many places to put BC and wetsuit. Also the dive deck (starboard side) has big fans that dry things very quickly as well, you can hang up wetsuits, BC's, or swimsuits in front of it - they have hangers provided.

I made my rinse tank :) it's about 12" x 4.5" x 10", which holds several meals+snacks, or, you know, my rig and a couple lights :)

This is my little lunch bag:

View attachment 548925

Which I mostly got because it was cute, but it conveniently fits my housing, strobe, arms, clamps and tray (I'm really good at Tetris). I almost always get flagged going through security, so if I don't feel like chancing it, I'll pull that shark bag out and send it through separately. Otherwise, when my bag gets kicked out and they ask if there are any fragile items, it's super-easy to point the TSA folks to the shark lunch bag in the middle of my backpack :)
I totally understand why you get singled out by TSA. They get nervous when people bring sharks through security.:rofl3:

If you are going on Amira, don't worry. The boat is awesome, I've been 5 times.
The rooms have lots of storage space, I didn't even have to store my empty luggage in the storage room. The bathroom is full sized, showers have shampoo and body wash provided. There is lot's of room for your own stuff too. Check out their website for room photos
There are 2 large camera rinse tanks on the dive deck. Camera room is great, it is indoors on the dive deck level. Lot's of space and charging stations. And even tools on the wall if you need them. If there is a rough overnight crossing, staff put the cameras on towels on the floor. I never had issues.
The crew are always helpful and experienced with you gear.
Enjoy your LOB, you going on one of the best run boats.

Back
Top Bottom