Liveaboard Logistics

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scuBecca

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Hi guys!

I'm doing my first-ever liveaboard in January, and I'm SUPER EXCITED!!! I've been making my way through all the "first liveaboard" threads that I can find, and have gathered a ton of really good information, especially on what to pack (back ups for all essential gear) and what not to pack (clothes :wink:). But what I haven't found much of is information on some of the logistical stuff (I even checked out cruise forums and blogs from people living on boats):

-how do you keep toiletries from flying around in the bathroom?
(my room has a private, ensuite bath, so I'm thinking bring a couple mesh bags- one for shampoo/conditioner/razor, one for toothbrush/toothpaste/comb- and loop it around something, maybe secure with a little carabiner?)

-what do you do with your camera between dives? where do you keep it at night?
(when I do regular day-boat trips, my camera gets dunked in the rinse tank, then wrapped in a towel and placed in a padded bag and tucked somewhere safe til I get back to shore)

Am I overthinking things?

I'm sailing the Amira, if anyone has personal experience with that specific vessel. I know there's a large camera room, but I don't like the idea of leaving my camera on a counter unattended...

We always put our cameras on the ground during crossings. Whenever I have forgotten, by the time I stagger to the camera room, one of the crew has already done it.

Every boat I have been on has a shelf for shampoo etc., if not... always safe on ground. We use a hanging toiletry bag with pockets for everything else. Easy to roll up and pack!

generally, the boat isn't rocking that bad it is an issue, but a small toiletry bag works

most boats have a camera table specifically for cleaning and charging your photo gear

Use a toiletry bag. Ones that have a hook in case there isn’t a shelf is nice. The bathrooms are small and efficient. It’s best to bring 1 toiletry bag than many smaller bags.

I bring my own AO cooler and use it as my personal rinse tank. At night, I either keep it on the camera table covered with a microfiber towel (it has an edge, usually grippy/well draining material) or in my cooler depending if I need a battery change or not.

The Amira is supposed to be a fantastic boat. My friends have been on it and rave about it. Where in Indonesia are you going? Raja Ampat?

Hi guys!

I'm doing my first-ever liveaboard in January, and I'm SUPER EXCITED!!! I've been making my way through all the "first liveaboard" threads that I can find, and have gathered a ton of really good information, especially on what to pack (back ups for all essential gear) and what not to pack (clothes :wink:). But what I haven't found much of is information on some of the logistical stuff (I even checked out cruise forums and blogs from people living on boats):

-how do you keep toiletries from flying around in the bathroom?
(my room has a private, ensuite bath, so I'm thinking bring a couple mesh bags- one for shampoo/conditioner/razor, one for toothbrush/toothpaste/comb- and loop it around something, maybe secure with a little carabiner?)

-what do you do with your camera between dives? where do you keep it at night?
(when I do regular day-boat trips, my camera gets dunked in the rinse tank, then wrapped in a towel and placed in a padded bag and tucked somewhere safe til I get back to shore)

Am I overthinking things?

I'm sailing the Amira, if anyone has personal experience with that specific vessel. I know there's a large camera room, but I don't like the idea of leaving my camera on a counter unattended...

You're spoiling yourself, sister.

I'm so jelly.

@scuBecca first of all, have a great trip! I am sure that you will love it.

Let me address the camera room concerns. I have only been on one LOB where it wasn't standard practice to simply leave your camera gear on the camera table or, in the boat's camera room. That exception was the Aquacat which normally does not leave until just before dawn, so they recommend that you keep your camera gear in your cabin for the first night. Other than that, once you leave the dock, it pretty much just stays in the camera room. This has a few advantages, first, camera rooms (or camera tables) are usually "designated dry areas". Your camera & lenses will be safe from the water. Most have that sticky non-slip liner material to keep your camera gear from sliding around, or you could bring a little with you if you want to be sure. If it gets very rough, then absolutely, it might be an idea to secure it in a cubby hole or drawer in your cabin. If you are worried about leaving your gear unattended near a group of strangers, I can understand this concern on your first LOB, but I have never heard of any problems of stuff disappearing while on board. (Someone might accidentally grab the wrong stuff, but as soon as they notice, it shows up again.) Just to be "on the safe side", it wouldn't hurt to put your initials on things like your camera batteries just so they don't get mixed up. Also, a small (lunch sized) collapsible cooler is a good idea to keep little stuff all in one place and never underestimate how useful a lint-free microfiber towel will be.

I hope that helps.

So yeah, I was over thinking things- just setting stuff on the floor never crossed my mind!:facepalm:

I was hoping to leave the cooler bag at home, since it's kinda bulky and my bag is already really full, but it sounds like having my own rinse tank AND a safe place to keep my camera is a good idea. I do also have a smaller lunch bag like @Hoag mentioned, so maybe that would fit better? Will do a test-pack and see. I'm more worried about my camera falling off a counter than I am about it (or parts of it) walking off. All my gear is labeled though, just in case :) I do keep a little microfiber towel in my camera kit, still trying to decide if I should bring a bigger one. (the little one is washcloth sized, the bigger one is more like a small bath towel)

Yup- I'm going to Raja Ampat! And yes, I realized I'm setting the liveaboard bar incredibly high for myself :)

The other thing that I will mention from a logistics point of view is to lay out all of the clothes you plan to take. Now, put half of those away. don't take them. Now look at what is left, and put about half of those away. LOBs are definitely not fashion shows. Comfort is the name of the game. It is not like a regular cruise ship where the guests are expected to "dress for dinner" in formal attire. Dry-wick / quick dry shorts & t shirts are ideal. If you have plastic compression bags to pack them in, that is a bonus not only because of the space saving aspect, but also because if your clothes are in plastic, then they are dry and by the end of the week, dry clothes are a luxury.

i wouldn't bother with the cooler bag. i shoot a Nikon Z7 with Nauticam housing, strobes/keldans/retra snoots/MWL-1, wide angle blah, blah.

I would never do daydiving without my 48 can cooler bag for a dunktank, but on a liveaboard it's totally useless.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom