Live From Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

leadweight

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
Its still a great place, but the weather has not been cooperating. No diving on Thursday, but yesterday I went out in the afternoon and had two good dives with a very cold surface interval. Supposed to go out in 45 minutes with Deep Blue, the wind is blowing, its cool and cloudy.

here: the wind is blowing...its cold and cloudy. 20 degrees, windchill at ZERO

shutup and dive...then do a couple extra for the rest of us poor slobs stuck at home and counting down the days! :)

I'm gonna pile on with jjwdiver here and remind you what the rest of us are doing... surfing the Coz SB forum wishing we were there and wearing our fleece and goretex shopping for snow shovels! :wink::wink::wink:

denweathere.jpg

Serious question, though... if you get blown out from a Norte, can you still do a shore dive or are the currents too crazy or vis too low?

Its still a great place, but the weather has not been cooperating. No diving on Thursday, but yesterday I went out in the afternoon and had two good dives with a very cold surface interval. Supposed to go out in 45 minutes with Deep Blue, the wind is blowing, its cool and cloudy.

Ah, we are all feeling so bad for you....maybe you just have put on a "widdle" coat on after your dive to warm up a bit....:baby::wink:....just kidding. Sorry about your cancelled day of diving that is a bummer, but, I bet you can make up for it with some awesome dives otherwise. Have the best time possible !!! Sue from Chilly TEXAS....

Serious question, though... if you get blown out from a Norte, can you still do a shore dive or are the currents too crazy or vis too low?

I've never seen anyone doing shore dives in a norte (mind you, I'm no usually looking). Too hard to get in and out of the water. It's pretty rough. Also, the shops are down to skeletal staff, for all intents and purposes, so where would you get tanks, weights etc?

here: the wind is blowing...its cold and cloudy. 20 degrees, windchill at ZERO

shutup and dive...then do a couple extra for the rest of us poor slobs stuck at home and counting down the days! :)

The dives today were very good. First was Punta Sur followed by another chilly surface interval. Second dive was Punta Cucina (or something like that). We saw the huge parrot fish and a couple of Cozumel toad fish, plus a turtle or two.

Despite your obvious sarcasm, which borders on going a bit too far, I am going to wish you a great next dive trip with perfect weather. Don't jump on me just for telling how it is.

You could shore dive. We were out on a small boat today. If I could just hop over the surface interval in a time machine it would be perfect. I recommend bringing a windproof shell along, just in case. Its supposed to be 83F tomorrow, but cloudy. The high today was 75F, but it was not that warm in the morning. Water is 78F, which is fine with me.

Eat in places with peso prices on the menu. The ATM's give 13.45 to $1. Places with US$ menu prices printed those menus when $1 bought only 9 pesos. Try Mosaicoz or Cafe Dennis, both near the back of the square at the Southeast corner. Mosaicoz has cheap beer and wonderful pizza at night.

I think you said who you were diving with Leadweight, but it's escaped me now. If I'm diving with Living Underwater, they supply nice big warm hooded jackets the minute you are out of the water. Otherwise I've got a nice, warm, waterproof hooded jacket of my own. In the winter, you can't count on the sun to be out warming you at the SI.

the wind dies down and you get some great dives in. The low humidity this time of year also adds to the chill.

Watch out for another norte between Monday & Tuesday. Supposed to hit central OK about 6:00 PM Sunday.

2 1/2 weeks and I will be worrying about norte's messing up diving instead of worrying about how to dress in single digit wind chills. I will take the former.

Have a good time!

We are diving with Deep Blue. I have my own windbreaker on the boat, it makes a difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom