Live-Aboard with Internet?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

You can count us as one of the ones that does. We use a wireless system and it works well enough we are going to put 3 around the boat, because when everyone tries to use it at once it gets slow for sure. Now it's in the bar area so people don't seem to mind hanging out where the reception is good.. :D

It is 3G and is good roughly 80% of the week on a normal route.

One thing the Maldives does have is cell phone towers!

Team M/V Orion

We have internet 24 hours a day 7 days a week. It costs us $15/meg, so it costs the user $15/meg. No one much uses it. We have satellite TV. I think it was turned on last time during the Superbowl. In 2007. As Scotty said, cell phones work within 10 miles of the Florida Keys. Except in the Dry Tortugas. Music plays most of the time on the dive deck. It's a mixture of '80's rock and Monty Python thrown in, and sometimes something inappropriate. If you don't like it, go diving.

I would guess that the Kona Aggressor, being in cell phone range most of the time could serve.

Real rock and roll played by musicians AND Monty Python?! What good thing does this Wookie guy NOT do?! :)

Understand what you are saying Matt. However, after personal experience, not really disconnecting from work is giving you more stress than you may realize. You're used to it and it feels the norm and you can handle everything because of your skills and experience, but I suggest it isn't "cost free". I only mean to give you something to think about, but nothing will change until you're ready. Good luck on the trip and enjoy...

As a net addict myself, I must say that it's rather refreshing to be away from the Internet every now and then. Without it, you're forced to talk to the people around you, in which case on a liveaboard it's your fellow divers.

What good thing does this Wookie guy NOT do?! :)...

<snort><grin> Carry your tanks or allow doubles of recreational dive trips. Thanks. I do sit in the comfy chair, however, so you don't have to.

On the always connected front I also felt I should be connected to the internet for work. Justified it by telling myself that I could take more vacations that way. Was true, but did have a cost re stress on vacation that just never allowed me to truly relax and let go of the work. Found that one of the advantages to a liveaboard was that it allowed me to untether from work and truly relax. We are rarely as indespensible as we think and a week away from the net and clients/patients can be a good thing. Now that I am retired not an issue, but at the time I am glad I took some weeks away. Just as glad that I could work from anywhere in the world as long as I had a reasonable connection. Allowed me to travel far more than I did in pre internet days.

Do without internet? Yeah, its possible..... but be somewhere remote and get a craving for Fritos.....:furious:

Do without internet? Yeah, its possible..... but be somewhere remote and get a craving for Fritos.....:furious:

I like the Flamin' Hot ones.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom