Little River and Peacock Springs blown out

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The walls were stained at one time :) As far as I know, pretty much everything in FL has reversed at one time or another... cept maybe Jug?

Ginnie has reversed significantly in its history, I recall a study of some wood shards they found in the cave which were a few hundred years old,placed there by a reversal.
The only reason Jug doesn't reverse is it would take the whole Ichetucknee river to flood,which doesn't happen much.

Ginnie has reversed significantly in its history, I recall a study of some wood shards they found in the cave which were a few hundred years old,placed there by a reversal.
The only reason Jug doesn't reverse is it would take the whole Ichetucknee river to flood,which doesn't happen much.

there are some chunks of driftwood back by the lips bypass. so I'm sure it's possible for it to flood. I just wouldn't count on it any time soon :wink:

Thanks to everyone for the great information and I am learning a lot about specific sites. A few questions that I have been wondering about is what about the bugs? What month do they tapper off? Is there a bad month for snakes and other aquatic life?
Coming from the north we have copper heads, brown water snakes, and a few rattle snakes but very little danger. The most aggressive is the non-venomous water snake but I have learned to live and let live with them. I try the low impact approach and pretty much give them the rite of way. I have seen pictures of the banana spiders and they look like it could be unnerving if one dropped in so to speak. I do not have a phobia but have suffered some painful spider bites in the past. I was a painter for a while and the little ones always would bite the worst. A couple of these bites were almost worthy of a ER visit and took weeks to heal. Thus my inquiry as to what ones to avoid. I know about the fire ants I learned that a few years back at spring break and will not any time soon forget.
Safe diving and I hope that conditions improve soon.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

Thanks to everyone for the great information and I am learning a lot about specific sites. A few questions that I have been wondering about is what about the bugs? What month do they tapper off? Is there a bad month for snakes and other aquatic life?
Coming from the north we have copper heads, brown water snakes, and a few rattle snakes but very little danger. The most aggressive is the non-venomous water snake but I have learned to live and let live with them. I try the low impact approach and pretty much give them the rite of way. I have seen pictures of the banana spiders and they look like it could be unnerving if one dropped in so to speak. I do not have a phobia but have suffered some painful spider bites in the past. I was a painter for a while and the little ones always would bite the worst. A couple of these bites were almost worthy of a ER visit and took weeks to heal. Thus my inquiry as to what ones to avoid. I know about the fire ants I learned that a few years back at spring break and will not any time soon forget.
Safe diving and I hope that conditions improve soon.
CamG Keep diving....keep training....keep learning!

If you stick to the tourist caves ie Little River,Peacock,Ginnie etc,you'll have very little to worry about snakes,spiders etc since the parks are well developed. You'll find your biggest item of personal danger is the drunk local,or the "ignorant to others" cave diver. If you decide to venture off the beaten path,most snakes are evasive of people so I have had minimal problems. I have had a couple face to face encounters with gators,with them being more afraid than me (if that is possible). Some areas of North Florida have lots of Banana spiders. They look bad,and feel bad when one goes down the back of your shirt,but their bite is minimal. The trick is to carry a stick waving it front of you to get the webs,or put the new person in front :D:D

If you stick to the tourist caves ie Little River,Peacock,Ginnie etc,you'll have very little to worry about snakes,spiders etc since the parks are well developed. You'll find your biggest item of personal danger is the drunk local,or the "ignorant to others" cave diver. If you decide to venture off the beaten path,most snakes are evasive of people so I have had minimal problems. I have had a couple face to face encounters with gators,with them being more afraid than me (if that is possible). Some areas of North Florida have lots of Banana spiders. They look bad,and feel bad when one goes down the back of your shirt,but their bite is minimal. The trick is to carry a stick waving it front of you to get the webs,or put the new person in front :D:D

I'm gonna have nightmares now

me too, I hate spiders!

They look bad,and feel bad when one goes down the back of your shirt

Okay. I can live with the flow and the depth, but this has put me off Florida forever . . . :eek:

We were walking out to MF Cold sink (yeah that really is the name),and I walked right through two Banana spider webs. One of those bastards went down my neck,and southward. My really alert buddy smacked me on the back like a Heimlich,and missed a now pissed off spider. Left a big red welt,but no anaphylaxis.

then don't ask about what they have in Mexico. You'll never cave dive again...

Don't know about that, seems like every other time I go Barney is by the big set of stairs telling people there's a snake on them. My dive buddies once said one swam over me right there as well. Agree though if you leave them alone they leave you alone.

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom