Little Deeper 1-2-10 review and SMB skills

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deepn0va

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Last week I had finished up my AOW with NetDoc at hudson grotto one of the skills I had learned was how to deploy a lift bag and SMB. After class I was thinking "I have a few dosen ocean dives and never have i needed to use one. I either have a flag with me, im on a wreck with a line to the boat, or have a dive master with a flag.

Yesterday I went out diving with the little deeper in west palm since they have such an awesome Janurary special I could not pass up. We had a full boat with people of almost every skill level, Cave divers, tech divers, OW instructors, a recent OW certified diver with only one post certification dive up north, all who braved the cold air for the nice warm sea. On both of our dives, I had buddied up with my friend who was the new diver (FFHamiliton87), along with my other friends the cave/tech divers. As a group we all got a bit away from the DM to see our own stuff and take our own pictures. when FFHamiliton87 signaled me he had 1000psi, we said goodbye to our other buddies and got out my SMB. never having done this outside of a class I was glad I was sucessfully able to remember all of the steps and shoot it almost flawlessly, it was not fully inflated on the surface but good enough. We used that line to ascend on, and we realized we had another diver with us. After we arrive on the surface, we see the boat a way's off picking up some other divers. I let FFHamiliton87 know to just inflate his bc and relax, the boat will be here in a few.
After a surface interval we began a similar second dive, this time, intending not to stay with the DM and to do our own thing. Again, we deployed the SMB and at 20ft we could really tell the current was ripping. On the surface the boat picked us up.

I want to thank the little deeper for having such a great operation, especially with that hot cocoa! I also want to thank NetDoc for making sure I learned what may have been one of the most important skills I have for open water diving.

All in all, i like being able to do my own thing on a dive, and not worry about being run over by a boat upon ascent. and congratulations to FFHamiliton87 for his first ocean and salt water dives!

Pictures: ScubaBoard Gallery - Little Deeper 1-2-2010

Last week I had finished up my AOW with NetDoc at hudson grotto one of the skills I had learned was how to deploy a lift bag and SMB. After class I was thinking "I have a few dosen ocean dives and never have i needed to use one. I either have a flag with me, im on a wreck with a line to the boat, or have a dive master with a flag.

Yesterday I went out diving with the little deeper in west palm since they have such an awesome Janurary special I could not pass up. We had a full boat with people of almost every skill level, Cave divers, tech divers, OW instructors, a recent OW certified diver with only one post certification dive up north, all who braved the cold air for the nice warm sea. On both of our dives, I had buddied up with my friend who was the new diver (FFHamiliton87), along with my other friends the cave/tech divers. As a group we all got a bit away from the DM to see our own stuff and take our own pictures. when FFHamiliton87 signaled me he had 1000psi, we said goodbye to our other buddies and got out my SMB. never having done this outside of a class I was glad I was sucessfully able to remember all of the steps and shoot it almost flawlessly, it was not fully inflated on the surface but good enough. We used that line to ascend on, and we realized we had another diver with us. After we arrive on the surface, we see the boat a way's off picking up some other divers. I let FFHamiliton87 know to just inflate his bc and relax, the boat will be here in a few.
After a surface interval we began a similar second dive, this time, intending not to stay with the DM and to do our own thing. Again, we deployed the SMB and at 20ft we could really tell the current was ripping. On the surface the boat picked us up.

I want to thank the little deeper for having such a great operation, especially with that hot cocoa! I also want to thank NetDoc for making sure I learned what may have been one of the most important skills I have for open water diving.

All in all, i like being able to do my own thing on a dive, and not worry about being run over by a boat upon ascent. and congratulations to FFHamiliton87 for his first ocean and salt water dives!

Pictures: ScubaBoard Gallery - Little Deeper 1-2-2010

Nice post! Proper SMB deployment in Palm Beach County waters is critical IMO. NetDoc is a obviously a top-notch instructor having focused on that skill in class. Deploying at depth makes the boat captain's job a bit less stressfull providing them with an earlier record of a safe ascent as well as likely placing your team in front of the queue to be picked up....

Was a great learning experience! The crew was great and very knowledgable, and helpful considering this was my first boat dive, and ocean dive ever. Was a great 2 dives, I got sick during the Surface Interval, but when I got my breakfast out of my stomach I felt much better. deepn0va you were a great mentor, and a great mentor.

Glad to hear someone was out in the cold! I like to deploy my SMB a little deeper (no pun intended), say 40-50'

It is a very important skill. More dangerous than one would think it is until you get your hand caught up in the line of a bag shooting to the surface because you inflated it too much and did not mind the line.

I'm from Michigan, and had never used one before either, till about a month ago when I was diving in Jupiter. Every team used one every dive, so the guys on the boat could locate you, and it was an absolute necessity with 4 to 6 footers. My buddy and I just surfaced, then inflated it. So it seems from this post that the proper protocol is to send it up from the bottom? Do you take an extra reel with you?

Thanks for the post. I had bought a set of reel and SMB, but have not used it yet. In my upcoming trip to Key Largo diving, I'm going to make sure I try and learn that skill.

I'm from Michigan, and had never used one before either, till about a month ago when I was diving in Jupiter. Every team used one every dive, so the guys on the boat could locate you, and it was an absolute necessity with 4 to 6 footers. My buddy and I just surfaced, then inflated it. So it seems from this post that the proper protocol is to send it up from the bottom? Do you take an extra reel with you?

There are several different methods of deploying your SMB. Some people blow it up at the surface, others send it up from their safety stop, some send it up from 30-40', and then there are those like me who send it up from the bottom.

I use a finger reel with mine. I have about 150' of line on it.

There are several things you need to take into consideration when deploying the SMB.

1) Make sure the SMB is unhooked to the reel and connected to the line (and line is free).

2) Send it into the current. Do not have the current in your face.

3) If it snags, let it go...

4) Always remember the surface current can and frequently is stronger than the bottom current. If there's a good surface current, you might want to deploy closer to the surface.

5) Did I mention... if it snags, let it go?

SMB features that I like... this is my personal opinion and I'm sure you'll hear different opinions from others...

I like Red/Orange over Yellow/Green. Easier to see during the day time. I haven't seen a Yellow/Green one at dusk are dark, so... I can't say if they're easier to see.

I like the capability of inflating with my octo from the bottom of the SMB. (some people don't)

I like having an over pressurization valve. Remember Boyles Law...

I like having an oral inflator on it.

And the bigger the better....

The DAN SMB comes with a whistle, mirror, and glow stick... and with all the features I mentioned above.

Keep in mind.... everyone has an opinion... well... most everyone...

Dad, Thanks for the post. I also have a DAN SMB for several of the same reasons. Originally, I thought they were all the same, but after checking them out, I realized some are actually more like a pool toy than anything. Besides, if I ever get into trouble on a dive, I want DAN to be around, so I don't mind giving them a little money now and then:wink:

So... after contemplating your post, I'm thinking I'm doing it exactly right... LOL... Get on the surface, then inflate it. Thanks for the info.

https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom