Trip Report Little Cayman trip report

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been to LCBR several times at high season and the dining room is never crowded. There is a lovely screened in patio as well, and between the two, there is enough seating for all the guests at once. The buffet uses 2 lines so never really have to wait for food. The boats are big and have a flying bridge which can easily hold 8 people comfortably leaving lots of deck space below for the rest of the divers. The only time the boat feel crowded is if it is pouring rain and everyone is trying to shelter together.

I really like both resorts but for me, there always seems to be a differential cost of about $500 pp, which means $1000 for two, which can be put towards something else ( like another trip ).

I've been to LCBR several times at high season and the dining room is never crowded. There is a lovely screened in patio as well, and between the two, there is enough seating for all the guests at once. The buffet uses 2 lines so never really have to wait for food. The boats are big and have a flying bridge which can easily hold 8 people comfortably leaving lots of deck space below for the rest of the divers. The only time the boat feel crowded is if it is pouring rain and everyone is trying to shelter together.

I really like both resorts but for me, there always seems to be a differential cost of about $500 pp, which means $1000 for two, which can be put towards something else ( like another trip ).
Before the 2019 renovation, the LCBR dining room was too small, particularly when they had a couple of dive groups in and were setting aside large tables for them, but some of them were taking up the tables for 2 and 4 instead. Since the renovation, I agree, crowding is not an issue in the dining room.

I have been in contact with DAN. They will look at my claim once my primary insurance won’t pay ( 3k deductible)
Any updates on whether DAN will cover it or not? Or are you still waiting on your insurance?

Just received my eob and will see what Dan does. I will let everyone know how this plays out. This is the 1st time I have needed Dan, hopefully they won’t let me down

My husband sprained his ankle getting on ladder and DAN paid. When he had gas embolism resulting in heart attack/death. They said it was not covered.

Please tell us more.

Have been considering a trip to Little Cayman and staying/diving at Pirates Point. Anyone with experience there?

We have not stayed there but have visited. Reminds me of a summer camp. We passed because they only do 2 dives per day, they don’t have their own dive operation on site, not all cabins have AC, mandatory tip (it’s not a tip if it is automatically charged) and price is same as SC. They do promote that their 2 dives equal 3 because you get to use your entire tank, we always do that at SC and never a problem. I would be interested in a food comparison. I read rave reviews of their food but I see the same about SC. B

We spent a week at Pirates Point in 2018, and were in the process of booking a 2020 trip when the pandemonium hit. It's a good place, a bit in the woods compared to LCBR or Southern Cross, with a cool vibe and ridiculously-good food. (We also love Southern Cross, and did a week at each of necessity in 2018 but will do it by design next time). We stayed in a recently-remodeled house steps from the water, very comfortable and very nicely redone. Some of the units lacked a/c, but I think they continued upgrading during the closure. The bar is on an honor system, and did I mention the food? You do have to get in a van to go to the dive boat, a five-minute ride and a very mild inconvenience. but there is snorkeling (not fabulous, but available) right off the resort. The dive boat was nice (Carver, I think), but I believe they just took delivery on an even-nicer one. The dive sites were what you'd expect on Little, and all in all, we very much enjoyed our stay. No qualms about recommending Pirates Point. (wildbill9's response came in after I started typing. True that the dive op is not on site, but it is their own boat, DMs, tanks, etc. as far as I know. There's not enough depth for a doc at the resort).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom